Narn Gil-galad by Earonn

| | |

Chapter 5: Nirnaeth Arnoediad


 

V Nirnaeth Arnoediad

Beren and Finrod were captured by Sauron and he held them prisoner on Tol Sirion, which now bore the name Tol-in-Gaurhoth, in just the same tower as Finrod had built and Orodreth defended for such a long time. But against her father Thingol's wish Lúthien searched for Beren her beloved. For she saw in visions his imprisonment on the isle.

The king of Nargothrond was not oblivious to the irony of his situation – trapped in his own tower, in a room formerly used as a pantry, still slightly smelling of vegetables, while Sauron's werewolves devoured his companions one by one.

He knew his death was near, and almost he felt relief that soon he would return to the Undying Lands. There one day the Valar might grant him release from Mandos' Halls. And maybe Amarië would bestow her love on him once more.

These musings brought him comfort while he had to helplessly witness the werewolves killing his friends. Always he wished to defend them, without knowing how this was to be done, and always the others held him back with imploring words, begged him to consider his people who hoped for his return. And also Beren pleaded to him not to cast away his life.

Finrod also thought of those he would have to leave behind in Middle Earth. Orodreth, whom he would have gladly spared the burden of reign since he was well aware that his nephew was no born leader. Helegethir, already fulfilling the duties of a queen, calm and farseeing, with great dignity and yet filled with joy of life. And their children – the cheerful and clever Finduilas, so happy in her love for Gwindor, and her calm, friendly brother Gil Galad.

Lúthien left Neldoreth, the northern part of Doriath, and heeded to the West. After leaving the western border and while wandering on Talath Dirnen, she was found by Celegorm and Curufin, who hunted wolves on the Guarded Plain.

They disclosed themselves as people of Nargothrond and Lúthien instantly confided in them, for she had no reason to mistrust members of the folk ruled by her cousin Finrod, who so very often had been an honoured guest in her father's halls. So she told them who she was and what fate had led her to Talath Dirnen.

Celegorm at once was enraptured by her beauty and moreover both brothers realised how much the daughter of the powerful king Thingol could be of use in their struggle against Morgoth. They promised her the help of Nargothrond and Lúthien was relieved, since although her vision had told her where Beren was to be found, she had no idea how to manage his rescue.

In Nargothrond, however, the mighty realm of Finrod, surely she could receive help and council. Besides, her relatives who never had made a secret of their love for the Edain most likely would understand or at least tolerate her affection towards Beren - unlike her own father Thingol and most of his followers.

When she remarked how much she would enjoy meeting her cousin Finrod again, Celegorm regretfully shook his head.

"I'm sorry, but he's absent from Nargothrond at the moment. He has recently left the dwelling. Orodreth currently leads the realm as his steward."

They brought her on seldom used ways into the elven home at the Narog. She wondered about this, but Celegorm reassured her.

"Firstly your presence would cause much a sensation. Many would ask why the daughter of Thingol comes alone, unannounced and in such a condition. Secondly on this way we'll reach the lord's rooms as quickly as possible."

Lúthien looked down at her mud-stained and worn clothes and reached up to touch her short cut hair. Indeed it would be wise to avoid too much attention. Neither did she want to be a disgrace to her parents, nor should anyone know about the argument with her father. And of course she assumed, Celegorm would speak about Orodreth as the 'lord'.

Celegorm, however, contentedly smiled. His words hadn't been untrue: for a long time already, Orodreth couldn't be justifiably called the lord of Nargothrond.

The brothers informed no one of Lúthien's arrival and ensured that she would not meet anyone except them. And when finally she saw through them and wanted to leave, the sons of Fëanor held her prisoner.

For she had told them about her vision of Beren's capture on Tol-in-Gaurhoth, and it seemed likely that Finrod also was there. It appeared a good opportunity to gain power both in Nargothrond and in Doriath. Thus they would become the mightiest of the Noldorin princes. In truth, however, Celegorm did not reckon only her worth, but likewise wished to marry Lúthien because he desired her for her beauty.

The brothers sent a message to Thingol in secret and demanded Lúthien's hand. But Finrod they intended to leave in Sauron's dungeons and did nothing for his rescue. They were well aware that their power in Nargothrond would come to an end the very moment the folk got back their beloved king. They could stand up to Orodreth, for he more or less let them have their way, out of weakness and fear for his family. And also because for the folk he paled in comparison to Finrod, since he led a secluded life and devoted himself to his studies.

In this way they abandoned Finrod Felagund who had given them a new home.

Finrod fulfilled his oath to Barahir. And when the great werewolf of Sauron came to kill Beren, Finrod attacked him with no other weapon than his own body. He defeated the beast and saved Beren's life, but he sacrificed his own for it. And thus died Finrod Felagund son of Finarfin, king of Nargothrond, without any other comfort than the consciousness of having acted honourably and paid his dept.

With the help of the great hound Huan Lúthien finally managed to escape from Nargothrond. Huan had been Celegorm's steady companion since he had received him as a puppy from Oromë himself. Curufin would rather have doubted his brother's love for him than that towards his hound, and likewise Huan never had abandoned his master.

But now, facing Lúthien's beauty and the extent of his master's sins against her and his own family, Huan was filled with disgust. He found a way to escape and used his gift of being allowed to talk in human speech three times before his death to bring Lúthien council.

The great doors of Nargothrond were well guarded, so Huan led her out using secret and half-forgotten ways, made by the petty-dwarves when they had been living in the dwelling at the Narog. Thus she escaped Curufin and Celegorm and eventually reached Tol-in-Gaurhoth. She managed to rescue Beren and in the course of this rescue Sauron was driven away and his fortress destroyed. Thereby also all the other prisoners were given back their freedom. Many of them had lived in Nargothrond before and returned to their old home. Now it became known, how Celegorm and Curufin had acted towards Lúthien, but above all how long they had been aware of Finrod's imprisonment without saying so much as a single word about it.

Then great anger rose in the folk and some even demanded their death. But Orodreth did not want to shed his kin's blood, for he was well aware that this would bring the curse of Mandos only heavier upon them. Also did he not wish to hurt those who had been good friends for such a long time, even though they had broken this friendship themselves.

Therefore his first act as king of Nargothrond was to judge the sons of Fëanor. And given the deeds they had done, which bewildered him and filled his heart with anger, and in view of Finrod's cruel death that perhaps could have been prevented, he exiled them from the whole realm of Nargothrond, never again to receive bread or shelter there.

Celegorm shrugged with studied indifference. But his ire was distinct, hot and hardly controlled.

Curufin, however, said nothing, for anger and shame balanced each other in his mind, added by incomprehension over how this could have happened. It seemed to him like yesterday that they had been friends and of one mind. But this king on the throne of black basalt he did not know. He only bore the name of the friend with whom Curufin had sung songs in Valinor and fought orcs in Middle Earth. He understood very well that also his own behaviour had caused this break, but faith to his brother made him keep silent.

Nevertheless he had one comfort in this bitter moment and this was the sight of his son Celebrimbor, standing not far away in front of the other assembled elves. Whatever would happen, no one, not even Orodreth, could take his son from him. The thought made Curufin smile(1) .

For also Celebrimbor had come, though nowadays he did not take much interest in the daily life of the elves. He lived among them and sometimes he attended a feast, but his attention he paid now to his labour at the smithies alone, and when working on an ambitious project he hardly asked what happened around.

This concentration on his work, however, was nothing more than a pretext to avoid any conflict with his father and his uncle. On the one hand Celebrimbor supported Orodreth, whom he still regarded as rightful lord of Nargothrond, on the other hand he did not want to risk the bonds of family, which were close and precious among the elves. So he stood aloof thus not to be forced to take sides.

Currently he thought his father's guilt would only contain undermining Orodreth's authority. For Celegorm hadn't allowed his brother to tell Celebrimbor about Lúthien's stay because he knew that the master smith stood faithful to Finrod, never challenging Orodreth's claim for leadership. Most likely the young elf would not have supported their plans regarding Lúthien.

Or perhaps he just feared his nephew as a rival.

But this trial Celebrimbor could not avoid. The rumours, assumptions and suspicions had found their way even into his self-imposed seclusion at the forge and he had to face them. He was standing slightly aside in front of the folk, watching father and uncle unbelievingly and reproachfully in turn but in any case full of pain. He loved his father in the complete unconditional manner of a son, but he also had honoured Finrod and respected Orodreth as his steward. And here they came, one after another, nearly starved, injured and confused elves who had found their way from Tol-in-Gaurhoth to Nargothrond, reporting what they knew about Celegorm's and Curufin's wrongdoings and about the fate of Beren and Lúthien. One by one, one accusation preceding the next.

Celebrimbor desperately wished they would stop. He wished his father would step forward and give an explanation. Because like every son he longed to trust and respect his father.

But both his father and his uncle apparently didn't pay much attention to the world around.

"And what about your son? Was he also part of this?" Orodreth asked sternly.

Curufin shook his head. "Celebrimbor didn't know anything. Decide on me as you like, but he had nothing to do with it!"

"Is this correct, Celebrimbor?"

The addressed nodded in silence. So it was true, it was really true what had been said about his father, even the worst rumours which had found their way to him hadn't been nearly as terrible as the plain truth. The elves around him simply had not dared to tell him what people said about his father.

Something broke inside him.

Orodreth sympathetically looked at father and son. Hadn't Curufin thought about his son, when he supported Celegorm on his vicious deeds? Did he never ask himself how Celebrimbor would react, should he ever hear about all this?

He pitied the master smith. Though innocent he would have to share his father's punishment.

Celebrimbor eventually lost his numbness; he came to Curufin and looked deep in his dark eyes.

"Is it true, father?"

He couldn't say more, but in his eyes the plea was abundantly clear: 'Please tell me it is not. That I can love and respect you as I did until now.'

Curufin observed his son. And suddenly he realised that he would lose him today, that now he looked in Celebrimbor's alert brown eyes and was near his beloved face for the very last time. He would lose him and this would hurt him more than even his son's death. Reluctantly he nodded.

Celebrimbor took a deep breath, his eyes became wide and were filled with desperate longing. "Why did you do that to me?” he whispered as if this question was too painful to be asked aloud, as if by this he could reduce the pain. Then he stepped back, brought distance between his father and himself, and this step meant a whole life.

He turned to Orodreth.

"Lord, I swear I did not know anything about this, and if I had I would have prevented it. Therefore in this hour I break with my father and repudiate his deeds."

His voice faltered and he swallowed hard. Then he took another step back, another step afar from his father and his previous life. He placed himself beside Gil Galad, still looking at the king.

"So it may be." Orodreth could feel the pain of both, father and son, and it nearly broke his heart. Kinship was of great importance among the elves, and especially the bond between parents and children was strong. What Celebrimbor just had done meant a deep cleft in his family. He took a deep breath.

"So be exiled from Nargothrond, Celegorm and Curufin of the House of Fëanor. Neither shelter nor bread should be granted to you and you shall be regarded as enemies of the realm." He noticed the mocking gleam in Celegorm's eyes and this did hurt him even more and increased his anger. Infuriated he added "From now on there shall be little love between Nargothrond and the sons of Fëanor!"

Curufin barely listened to Orodreth's words but only stared at his son. He remembered his birth, the first steps, all he had taught him. Celebrimbor writing his first clumsy letters, making his first piece of craft in the smithy, reading to his mother. Celebrimbor's sight at their first meeting after the defeat at the Dagor Bragollach, when he had feared his son, too, had been killed by the orcs. Celebrimbor talking with Gil Galad in the Great Hall... If the pain hadn't been so immense, Curufin would have cried.

Celegorm accusingly mustered Celebrimbor. "It seems as if too many people here have forgotten who their kin is and what they owe their family. Do these", he pointed with a scornful gesture at the elves standing around, "mean more to you than your own father?"

Celebrimbor twitched under the harsh words, but he had become self-confident by his success as a smith and the appreciation of his works.

"No, and you know that it doesn't matter who means how much to me. It matters what you and my...your brother have done. You are a disgrace to our family."

Celegorm ever had been easy to provoke, facing the younger elf's bluntness he made one threatening step forward.

"You better hold your tongue, smith. First learn to respect the seniors of your family before speaking thoughtless words!"

But Celebrimbor did not step back. "What respect did you offer our family? When have you ever considered how much you would damage its reputation?"

With a fierce movement Celegorm slapped Celebrimbor hard across the face. Curufin gripped his arm, but the master smith did not move, just gave the elder of the brothers a contemptuous look.

"Well, so be it. Stay here with these Sindar if you like!" Celegorm shouted. "You don't have to 'break with your family' as you call it, for truly, from this moment you shall not belong to us. You are no member of the House of Fëanor any more!"

With this he turned abruptly and dragged his brother along with him out of the hall. Curufin did not turn to cast a last glance at his son.

After they were gone the tension from the master smith's body withdrew and he sank down to the ground where he stood. One of the nearby elves came to him. She spoke no word, but laid a slender hand on his shoulder, feathery-light and comforting.

Orodreth rose and also left the throne room. Surely he had not imagined that his first decision as king of Nargothrond would be to exile two men who had been faithful friends for uncounted years!

He walked through the endless corridors until he reached the main gate. The guards respectfully greeted him since now he was their king. But he only smiled bitterly, for he recognised one of them as an always faithful follower of Celegorm and Curufin. The men greeted the crown of the realm, not the person wearing it.

He left the dwelling. The roaring of the river soothed him. That is, until he heard from the left horses whining and the excited bark of a dog. There was only one hound in Nargothrond barking that way, deep in voice and thunderous. Only Huan. And Orodreth turned away, lest he was forced to see his former friends, who had hurt him so badly, leaving Nargothrond and his life forever.

He lifted his shoulders uncomfortably. The small circlet of silver on his forehead still felt strange on his brow and he had to permanently restrain himself from touching and adjusting it. At least this he realised: that in a certain way he had allowed himself to be dominated by Celegorm and Curufin. Their arrogance had led them to betrayal, but in order to lessen his own burden he had allowed them much.

After the king's departure, there was an awkward silence in the throne room which only slowly turned into quiet, serious talks. Gil Galad looked after his father and he guessed how severe a blow this day's events were for him.

Finduilas stepped beside him, taking his upper arm with both hands, clutching against him as she had done already in her childhood when frightened. He turned and comfortingly caressed her golden hair. "See to Celebrimbor", he whispered, "he will need some solace from his remaining family."

That his sister could do with this distraction, he kept to himself.

She nodded and joined her cousin and took his hands.

"He can't decide such things, you know that", she whispered. "He isn't the head of your family. Only Maedhros could bar you and he won't do that after all what happened."

It seemed as if Celebrimbor wasn't listening at all, but then he returned her grip and relaxed slightly. Already at their first meeting he had taken a liking to his pretty cousin and he noticed her good purposes in the efforts to comfort him in his loss.

Gil Galad watched the both of them until it became clear that Celebrimbor wouldn't refuse her sympathy. Then he mingled between the other elves, asked, answered and assumed, and all the while he relished the feeling of being among them, having a home. Almost he felt pity for the sons of Fëanor. To be exiled was a hard verdict, only seldom pronounced. It seemed unthinkable.

He pushed aside the sympathetic thoughts. No, not completely unthinkable. Not after what Celegorm and Curufin had done to king Finrod, Lúthien and Beren. The memory of their dead lord, his great-uncle, one of his closest and most beloved relatives, ached inside him and the shame about what Lúthien had suffered in Nargothrond burned in his heart.

King Finrod Felagund was dead and his own father now lord over Nargothrond. Both he found hard to accept.

Only few warriors of Nargothrond took part in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, for Orodreth did not want to be at war on Maedhros' request.

"No!" Orodreth firmly looked around the room, measured each of the others with his hard glance. "Under no circumstances we will take part in this!"

"And what about Fingon? He has already promised Maedhros his support, and he is-"

"I do exactly know, who and what Fingon is. But never will I support a son of Fëanor. Never! Nargothrond has suffered enough from them. We're safe as long as we keep quiet and the enemy doesn't know where to find us. So it shall stay!"

He saw his son's movement and he could easily guess what he wanted to say. They had already had this discussion after the arrival of Maedhros' message. "No, Gil Galad. Don't try to persuade me. This is my last word on the matter!"

The addressed bent his head with distinct disappointment on his face, but said nothing. The evening before, in private with his father, he had been able to disagree. But not towards his king in the council chamber of Nargothrond. Not after he had announced his decision so definitely.

'Nonetheless I wonder why you behave that way', he thought. 'You must see as well as we do, that Maedhros and Fingon will need any support they can get. And which worth is in Fingon's title of the High King of the Noldor in exile, if his orders are not obeyed?'

All of this he had already told his father the last evening. This and more. But with an unusual stubbornness Orodreth had blocked every reasonable discussion, something he had never done before. They had been of different mind sometimes, but never had he relied on his rank to have his way. Just the opposite, it always had been very important for him to explain his decisions to his son.

Gil Galad did not know how to interpret Orodreth's behaviour, but he guessed it was connected with Celegorm's and Curufin's dominance. And he wondered about it, for surely his father had noticed that nobody here would treat him as this two unworthy representatives of their family had done?

A gap had built up between them, the beginning of an estrangement. Orodreth's unspoken feelings of guilt and humiliation rose like a wall between him and his son, and the young elf did not know how to straighten it out.

After the council Orodreth remained alone in the room. He did take a close look at a door's frame which portrayed ivy tendrils, following the curves with a trembling finger. Long ago, in another life it seemed to him, he had carved the ornament out of the stone himself. Long before his journey to Brithombar, before Helegethir had bestowed him with her heart and later the two most wonderful children. His children...

To himself he could concede what he would not admit to anyone else: that not only rage at Celegorm's and Curufin's behaviour had determined his decision.

His elven sense of the things to come always had been very small and by no means a match to Finrod's, let alone Círdan's. About this fight, however, this so very bold challenge of Morgoth's power, he had a misgiving. He wished to protect his people, didn't want to send them into a battle of which he had a sure feeling it would only lead to sorrow and grief.

And in any case he wanted to keep his son out of it!

Mainly therefore Orodreth had not only refused any participation in the battle, but plainly forbidden his warriors to attend it. It was unworthy behaviour for the lord of Nargothrond, to put his own interests above those of all Eldar. But he hadn't been able to protect his children against Celegorm and Curufin and only a kind fate had prevented that they were seriously harmed. This time he would be a true father and keep away any danger from his son.

But this he couldn't tell anyone, not even Helegethir, who knew more about him and was closer to him than any other person. No one should come to know of the feeling of failure he harboured towards his children. Towards Gil Galad who had been forced to watch his father's power being undermined by two traitors, and towards Finduilas, who had to seek refuge from said traitors with her brother instead of her father.

Above all this thought saddened his heart.

The elves of Nargothrond were astounded by their king's decision. After Finrod Felagund had assisted the other realms without any hesitation at the Dagor Bragollach, why should it be different now? The more as the High King himself had asked for their help?

And there were some who couldn't cope with this decision. Who had lost relatives, friends, beloved, who were tortured by these losses every single day. And one of them was Gwindor.

It had been sheer luck that he could escape alive from the northern battlefields at all. Nonetheless he couldn't enjoy his fortune. For in this horrible battle, when orcs and wargs and other creatures of Morgoth had surrounded them, when it seemed as if Nargothrond would lose its king, out of sheer desperation his brother Gelmir had attacked the enemies in order to protect Finrod. And in the following turmoil of battle Gwindor had lost sight of him.

Until now he didn't know what had happened to Gelmir, if he had died or was taken captive by the orcs. This ignorance tortured him and even Finduilas' love and understanding couldn't change that. In spite of the rare contact between Gwindor and Gelmir, who had preferred to be a guard of the realm's borders, only seldom visiting Tol Sirion, they were dear to each other and Gwindor couldn't stand the thought, his younger brother could be dead or tortured by Morgoth.

But whatever had happened to Gelmir, Gwindor wanted revenge for it. And secretly he hoped, the elves might defeat Morgoth and open the mines and dungeons of Angband. If his brother was still alive, he would find him there and take him home.

At first he was afraid to inform Finduilas of his decision. He feared her reaction. But though she couldn't hold back her tears, tears of grief for Gelmir and tears of sorrow for Gwindor, she did not plead him to stay, to think about it anew or to obey her father's order.

"I understand your feelings, beloved", she said in a low voice. Then she cast a meaningful glance at her brother. Gil Galad was sitting a few steps away on the meadow in front of the dwelling's gates. On sunny days it was customary for many elves to spend some time outside the caves. At the moment not a book, but a training sword was lying beside him, as he watched Gildor instead of himself being battered by the sword master.

Finduilas' face softened. Gwindor loved it to see her such. So full of love. One day she would look at their mutual children in the same manner, of that he was sure.

"I do understand you", she repeated. "I know what it means to have a brother. I was very fond of Gelmir and I hope your wishes may come true and he will return to us." Then she turned completely to Gwindor and placed her hand on his cheek. "But please be careful. I fear to lose you. Don't risk more than necessary."

He came closer and laid an arm around her, an unusual intimate gesture, for normally he behaved more reserved in public. "I will be cautious, Finduilas. I promise."

She bent to him to kiss him softly on the lips.

In the evening of that day he officially informed Orodreth of his decision. The king was anything but content with it. Especially after the past experiences it was a heavy blow to him that Gwindor of all people acted against his orders. Gwindor, who always had stood faithful to the king's house, and not only because of his relationship with Finduilas.

Orodreth also feared for the younger elf, whom he began to regard as a part of his family. He had hoped to see him soon as his son-in-law, husband to his beloved daughter. She would be disconsolate, should anything happen to Gwindor, for even if the bond between them was not yet made, in any other respect they could not be told apart from a bound couple. If Gwindor should die it was possible, even likely, that Finduilas would leave this world out of grief and follow him to the Halls of Waiting.

But Gwindor's decision was final and harsh words were spoken between them.

However, at the end Orodreth gave in, since he did not want to break with the man his daughter so deeply loved. Therefore he permitted Gwindor to leave and even more allowed everyone who desired it to accompany him.

Regarding his former strict denial this surprised many. But it was Orodreth's hope to achieve more security for Gwindor. He knew the younger elf would have better chances to survive the battle if he was surrounded by warriors he knew and for whom he was more than just a face from a foreign realm.

"You can forbid someone many things, but if his heart is determined you only call forth disobedience" Orodreth later answered to the mild reproach of his son. "If I force Gwindor to stay, it most likely will break his will. And between her father and her beloved, what should become of Finduilas? With whom would she take sides?"

It sounded reasonable enough, but Gil Galad feared that it rather had been Gwindor's persistence in this matter, which led to the final decision. His father plainly had no longer the power to withstand a strong will. The man who could sit for hours on a puzzle of books, reports and assumptions only to draw the correct conclusions in the end, was defeated if he had to oppose a living opponent.

One week later Gwindor and his comrades left Nargothrond. They did not bear the banner of the House of Finarfin, since Orodreth had no intention to let them act officially in his name.

Just as Gwindor took the horse's reins in order to mount, Orodreth held him back.

"You're in charge for them, Gwindor. And you're also in charge for Finduilas. Never forget that!"

Gwindor nodded sternly. "I won't forget it, my lord."

The elves of Nargothrond waited a long time for any news from the battlefield or the return of their warriors, but only after several months emissaries from the Falas arrived and informed them of the horrible results of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, as the battle now already was called.

There was grief and horror in the whole realm. All the time they had hoped their warriors had only been scattered or for some unknown reason had retreated together with the High King's troops. But now the elves learned that they would never again see one of those who had left without the king's blessing. Many secret looks turned to Finduilas while the elf Círdan had sent delivered his message to the king with tears in his eyes.

Gil Galad, hardly less shocked than his sister, went to her and gripped her shoulders from behind. He felt her shivering and wished all these peoples far away so that she could let go.

But first they had to listen to the complete story and the messenger grew even more despaired when he informed them of Fingon's death. The Sindar in the throne room were not particularly affected, for even if Fingon was their king as they lived in a Noldorin realm, he didn't mean more to them than a name and couriers from Hithlum arriving now and then.

The Noldor, however, were shocked, especially those who had personally known the son of Fingolfin. Orodreth sadly remembered his always bold and cheery cousin.

Helegethir frowned. "And what about his brother? Has Turgon taken part in the battle? Or has Gondolin kept away?"

"No, my lady, Turgon arrived at top of a huge army. And thanks to the Edain Húrin and Huor he managed to escape."

The queen sighed relieved and yet did not know what caused this relief: the fact that Gondolin eventually had given up its seeming indifference towards the fate of the remaining Noldor of Beleriand, or Turgon's survival. Now he would become High King of the Noldor of Middle Earth after his brother Fingon.

But this feeling quickly dwindled. The sorrow of her daughter she could feel like the warmth of a fire nearby, mixed with her grief for all they had lost, especially for Gwindor who should have become a second son to her.

After Círdan's vassal had finished Finduilas apologetically glanced at her father, then she rose and hurriedly left the hall.

Orodreth nodded towards Gil Galad. "She needs you now, so leave."

His son did not hesitate but followed Finduilas. He really feared to face the endless grief of his sister, added to his own.

'Please 'Las, don't leave me alone', he thought. 'Please be strong enough to survive this, please…'

Of course he knew that Eldar were able to lay down their life in order to flee from an overwhelming grief and went to Mandos' Halls out of free will. He had seen it happen more than once, men and women dying because of a broken heart. If Finduilas would die as well, how should he endure it?

For the first time it appeared an advantage to him that his sister had not yet married Gwindor. And at the same time he felt ashamed by this thought. They would have deserved at least a few years together!

He found Finduilas in her room, sitting on the bed and looking at her folded hands, still half stunned by the news of Gwindor's death. It was horrible to see her like this, silent and motionless.

He sat down beside her, laid one arm around her slender shoulders and with his free hand took one of hers. No words were spoken as there were none.

After a while Finduilas sighed and gave her brother's hand a light squeeze.

"Do you think he will have to stay very long at Mandos' Halls?" Her voice trembled.

"No. No, I don't think so, ´Las."

"Are you sure? I'm in sorrow about his fëa, you know. He belongs to us, to the Noldor, he is exiled as we are and...and...oh, I wished father never had left Aman, 'Ellach, I'll never see him again!" She turned to her brother and buried her face against his chest. Finally and much to his relief she began to cry.

Nonetheless the elves of Nargothrond were much relieved that only a few of them had fallen victims to the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. And they praised Orodreth for his wisdom and foresight.

'They don't know what it was that truly held me back', the king thought. 'My actions may have proved justified afterwards, but my motives have been wrong.' Then he looked through the hall, where high above on the other side the banner of Fingon was lowered to be replaced by his brother Turgon's sign.

"You know what this means?"

He turned towards Helegethir. The queen had spoken in a grave tone and she worriedly regarded the banner. "Turgon is now High King of the Noldor-in-exile, but he has no heir and will never have. If Gondolin should fall, the High Kingship will pass over to the House of Finarfin." Her voice made clear how little she would appreciate this.

He took her hand in his own and gave it a small squeeze. "Gondolin is safe. No one knows its location and no one ever will. It has more strength than any other of the elven realms in Beleriand. It won't fall."

"Fine. I don't want our children to be bothered with this burden."

'But they already are', Orodreth thought. 'Don't you see it? Whether we like it or not, even if we refuse to acknowledge it, in this moment 'Ellach is only two steps away from the throne of the High King. In the past I would have deemed that far away, but now... Turgon has covered the same distance in less than five hundred years and life becomes always more dangerous.'

He looked around in the great hall, which was filled with the sound of a subdued lamentation until he found his son standing to his right in front of one of the great hearths, pensively staring into nothingness. And he wondered if Gil Galad also reflected on the consequences of this battle for his own life.

Actually, Finduilas nearly left this life, which seemed grey and cheerless without her beloved, and searched for peace in Mandos' Halls. Long her family feared to lose her and they cared much for her. Sometimes it seemed to Gil Galad as if he again took care for his newly born sister. As often as possible he was with her, talked to her, held her in his arms while she cried or protected her sleep. Always gentle, always in deep brotherly love and always full of fear he could lose her.

And one day she literally awakened from her lethargy and pushed aside the pain. Finduilas had chosen life.

Nonetheless only much later she began to take part in the life around her again. She was quiet and depressed and her smile had become rare.

About that time they heard about the great deeds which were done in Dor-Cúarthol, the 'land of helm and bow', westwards of Doriath and around but mostly southwards of the Amon Rûdh. To the south it extended to the Fens of Sirion and touched Nargothrond's borders in the west. This close neighbourhood, however, was not the main reason for the attention it gained by the elves.

Instead this was based on two men called the 'Two Captains', who had gathered many brave and bold men around them in this area. These were mostly outlaws and they inflicted great losses on the orcs of Angband. And rumours of their deeds were heard in all elven realms, in Doriath as well as in Nargothrond.

Many elves in the hidden stronghold were already discontented with their secret manner of fighting. For since the day when Beren arrived with his request at Nargothrond and Celegorm so much frightened the folk with his warnings against the power of Morgoth, the fighting style of the elven warriors had changed. Previously they had, hidden by the forests, destroyed every troop of orcs which found its way into the realm between Doriath and the Falas and had been unkind to strangers. Now out of fear of Morgoth they killed many of those who entered their territory, also Men and sometimes even elves. Fear and shame hovered like a heavy dark cloud above the folk of Nargothrond.

Therefore again and again elves complained to Orodreth and mainly this were the younger, inexperienced and daring ones.

"They are Men, Secondborn, nothing but outlaws! And we all know what harm they bring upon the orcs. So if these can do so much, what could Nargothrond achieve with all its power? What could you achieve, my king?"

With a nervous, excited movement the speaker of the group stroked his dark hair behind his shoulder. Eight elves had come in order to move their lord to change his defence politics.

Another added in a strident voice "Should we hide behind outlaws as Celegorm and Curufin hid behind Lúthien?"

Orodreth visibly paled in view of this accusation, but he restrained himself. Others, however, jumped up and rebuked the elf with harsh words for his insolence – even members of his own group.

"What you say has worth", the king said finally, and the young elves already sighed with relief. But then the voice of the lord of Nargothrond turned sharp. "Worth for those who only seek fame and believe every small harm, which Morgoth in all his power possibly won't notice at all, to be a marvellous victory. I, however, have to consider our folk's safety, the safety of all those who cannot fight or aren't as belligerent as you. Of whom, as I may remark, none has ever seen the battlefields of the North."

Orodreth had all reason to talk this way, since only recently he had received a message from king Thingol of Doriath with a warning against the increasing power of Angband. He had no intention to ignore any advice of Thingol Greymantle, who had already been leader of his people before Vanyar and Noldor left Middle Earth to follow the Valar's summons.

The young elves looked at the ground in embarrassment, as indeed none of them ever had faced a real battle. They all were born in Nargothrond and had been too young to take part in the Dagor Bragollach. They only knew skirmishes with the orcs.

In the end their leader lifted his head in proud defiance. "So if Nargothrond doesn't want to fight, please give us permission to seek for the Two Captains and defend Beleriand together with them."

"And by this lead the enemy's spies on our trail?" Orodreth asked. "At the moment they only see Secondborn, and Angband already knows about the Edain's settlements. But tell me, what if one of you will be taken captive and taken to Morgoth alive? Would you be able to resist his torture? No, you couldn't hide your mind before a Vala and in the end he would know about our location. I won't take this risk. It already was an imprudence to allow Gwindor and his men to leave for the Nirnaeth. I don't want to make the same fault twice."

He cast an apologetically glance to Finduilas, whose beautiful blue eyes were filled with tears at the thought of such a horrible possibility. Then Orodreth rose to indicate that now he would announce his final decision.

"None of you will leave Nargothrond to join the Two Captains."

With these words he dismissed them.

But in spite of these words the son of Angrod indeed admired the courage of the Two Captains and their followers. Therefore he sent one single man with a message to Dor-Cúarthol. In this he expressed his appreciation for their success in the struggle against the orcs. Still he also ordered them in grave words never to lead their people into the realm of Nargothrond, nor to drive the orcs there, since otherwise he would be forced to defend his folk's safety against them, too. And he made clear that they were not to expect any military help from Nargothrond in their fight, neither arms nor men.

"Nonetheless your struggle and the support you give the elves and Men of Beleriand shall not remain without reward. Therefore I grant you Nargothrond's help other than in arms in any predicament."

The message was delivered, and even if the Two Captains never made use of the offer still they were encouraged by the esteem the king of Nargothrond showed them by making it. They sent the messenger back and asked him to bring his lord their gratitude and their promise never to lead their men into the realm nor drive the orcs towards its borders.

But this message never reached its destination. Since on his way back Orodreth's man at first rode straight to the West. In order to disguise the real situation of the dwelling he intended to turn westwards up to where the river Ginglith reached the Narog and then to follow the latter downstream. For he did not trust the outlaws.

However, on this detour he was tracked down by some spies of Angband and killed by an arrow, and he never returned to his home.

The inhabitants of the hidden realm long grieved for those who were lost in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. And many years they hoped for some of them to return. But this hope died little by little.

One, however, came back after long years as a slave of Morgoth. And this was Gwindor himself.

For he could escape from the mines of Angband. He was weak and injured, but he received help from Beleg Cúthalion, who found him during his search for Túrin. The two elves were able to free Túrin from the orcs that had taken him captive, but he killed Beleg, mistaking him for an enemy. And the grief at this fault nearly overwhelmed the Edain, so Gwindor took care of him and led him to Nargothrond.

There they were soon found by the border guards, and only with difficulty Gwindor could convince them not to kill Túrin and him at once. For they did not recognise the son of Guilin, who now was bent and terribly changed due to his years in slavery, just as one of the eldest of the Secondborn.

But in the end Gwindor convinced the guards that he belonged to their people and that it was not theirs to decide his fate. He demanded to be judged by Orodreth himself, so the wardens brought them in bonds before the king.

And thus Túrin reached Nargothrond.


Chapter End Notes

 

(1) In the Silmarillion Curufin smiled only after Orodreth spoke his judgement, but I always wondered why he did that, as the situation was all but funny. This is my interpretation, though it could only work before Celebrimbor parted with his father. It's AU, I know, but only a little bit… ;)


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment