Smoke and Mirrors by Cirth

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Uldor never wanted this.

Written for Easterlings Appreciation Week.

 

Major Characters: Maglor, Uldor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Expletive Language, Mature Themes, Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 238
Posted on 4 June 2015 Updated on 4 June 2015

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Most times fanfiction is easier to read than original ficition because of shared knowledge and assumptions. If those shared elements are missing it can be difficult. I never have known as much as I ought about the Easterlings. Almost as though I was scared away by the same prejudices which you describe in this story. Oh, Villains! But not pretty, clean, anguished villains like the Feanorians, but grubby, hungry, oppressed, with all of the faults of the oppressed (i.e., oppression oppresses), unrefined, often crude villains, but as you write them, you make me care about them because you write them as heartbreakingly human.

The descriptions ring true. (Speaking of dirty vs. clean--wow! that first description of Maglor is powerful.) The transitions are a little difficult for me, because I don't remember my texts--time for review. (It's your choice to throw the casual reader a bone and give them heavier hints, or not--and you clearly wrote this knowing your audience--I just missed being that favored audience by a hair.) I need to re-read and refresh ny menmory. Anyway, great story! Silmultaneously harsh and warm. Very emotive. A fine line skillfully tread.

What a delightful review to wake up to! And from you, Oshun. Thank you so much. Looking over the fic now, I can see some glaring flaws - nonetheless I'm glad I wrote it, for reasons you already listed. The Easterlings do seem to have received less fan attention than most other peoples of Beleriand. I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

I didn't see any glaring flaws! (Ha! I could go back and look for some, if you like! Just kidding!) Every time I open one of my own stories, I find a new typo! We won't even talk about my glaring flaws! I was telling Dawn yesterday that I never take down or re-write a story once it is published--I've closed that door. I do correct typos and other obvious mistakes!