Under the Tree by Agelast

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the SWG 10th Birthday Writing Contest.

Prompts used: Form/Genre: Family, Theme: words and names, Quotes: 'Someone once said that beauty could save the world. What a great responsibility you have.' -prima ballerina Natalia Makarova.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Elrond tells a story. 

 

Major Characters: Elrond, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: 10th Birthday Celebration

Rating: General

Warnings: Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 139
Posted on 24 July 2015 Updated on 24 July 2015

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, wow! This is terrific. I love it. Good job, Elrond!

I love how Maglor interjects his own politics into the story and Elrond tries to ignore him--and succeeds very well. Their affection for one another permeates every line of the story. Just lovely.

OMG! Maglor! I just choked on these lines--but controlled myself and did not spit Diet Coke on my monitor:

“Well, in the wider world, there is more competition over these things,” Maglor said, a touch whimsically.

and

“Fate does have a way of rushing things.”

 “Hush. The princess bore him two sons, as alike as two hatchlings from the same egg.”

“Ah! How fortunate.”


Interesting and a little bit enigmatic, with a light touch.

I like the story-telling within the story-telling, the play on fairy-tale elements.

It seems to me that although Maglor encourages Elrond, he is also a bit jealous of Elrond's real parents, maybe, and rather afraid of the ending of the story, presumably, and so can't help to try and stave it off. So it says much for the bond  between him that he lets him go ahead with the telling anyway.

Elrond is trying to make this story as good as he can, for him to live with, I guess? And given the situtation, that is the best he can do.

Is this his most tactful way of telling Maglor that he knows or remembers what happened at Sirion and or is it just that they had avoided the subject pretty much, like an elephant in the room, and this is the safest way he can find to bring it up?