Left Behind by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Warning for references to capital punishment for adultery and reference to violence against women as well as canon violence.

 

This is a sequel to my story "Uldor", but can probably be read on its own. I've tried to add some helpful background information in the end note of chapter 3. (In case it isn't obvious, both this story and the end note contain massive spoilers for the earlier story.)

The female protagonist, Ulrica, was assumed to be dead by the end of "Uldor".
Although I attempted to treat her with as much respect as compatible with the plot rather than simply "fridge" her, her fate left me with a bad feeling.
So, for Maglor Makalaure's Easterling Appreciation Week, I decided she would live and wrote the first chapter.

The continuation was posted for Legendarium Ladies April 2016 to AO3.

Date of completion: 2016-12-29.

 

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

After the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, the surviving Easterlings of Ulfang's tribe--although they had ensured Morgoth's victory by attacking their allies, the Elves, without warning-- instead of the reward they had expected, were driven by Morgoth into Dor-lomin where he held them penned. 
But not all of them--some were left behind.

Major Characters: Caranthir, Maedhros, Maglor, Men, Original Female Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 7 Word Count: 4, 372
Posted on 2 January 2017 Updated on 2 January 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Ulrica, assumed dead, awakes in a changed situation.

One Easterling woman--barely escaped from a death sentence, two Easterling children--abandoned in the chaos after the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.
What to do next and how to survive?

Ulrica encounters another Son of Feanor--and it is a surprise for both of them.

Decisions: Maedhros's decisions, that is, and Ulrica's.

Caranthir gives Ulrica a short break.

Lorren has time enough to change her mind about one important matter.

Ulrica's foster-daughter marries--and Maglor is there.

A last conversation with Maedhros.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


In spite of the sad theme, I really enjoyed this. It was a good read on its own, but after I went back to read your Uldor fic for more context, it became all the more poignant! It was so satisfying to see Ulrica get her own story, and even - unexpectedly - a happy end (well, as happy as they come in the Silmarillion). The treatment she received from the supposed "Whitefiends" was such a contrast to what she must have been used to, even before her captivity (and possibly before her marriage). Elven standards of hospitality indeed! I loved Ulrica's resourcefulness and the way in which she analyses her environment. And her words to Maglor were fantastic!

I'm so glad you enjoyed this and that it works both on its own for you and together with "Uldor"! It seemed a very private enterprise, trying to salvage her from the total train wreck that is the end of "Uldor", so I wasn't sure readers would be able to tune into that.

Of course, I managed to make the end happy-ish only by dodging the Second Kinslaying! But good to hear that those words to Maglor really worked for you.

I imagine Ulrica, unlike Uldor, having had quite a decent childhood by the standards of her tribe, even if it didn't feature a couple of things Elves might take for granted. She would not feel so betrayed by her family if she hadn't trusted them to begin with.