A Halt in a Long Voyage by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The idea that Tuor became something like the Flying Dutchman was one that Tolkien had apparently pondered at one point but probably entirely discarded.

So there was no need to write a fix-it (of sorts), but I wrote one anyway.

Allusions to the titles of both songs that were prompts for the Discovery challenge, several references to seafaring, no Second Age this time (sorry).

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Tuor and Idril must go on voyaging on Earrame forever.

But their friends on Tol Eressea find a way to help them deal with it.

Major Characters: Elves, Idril, Tuor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Discovery

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 589
Posted on 5 September 2018 Updated on 5 September 2018

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

The teens rating is for the Flying Dutchman concept as such; otherwise any angst in this piece is quite mild.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I've always wondered about Idril and Tuor; an elf and a mortal couple in which the elf bride seems not to have been given a mortal choice (or taken it, in any case).  I vaguely remember that they might have landed on an enchanted isle where they would sleep until the end of time.  Rather harsh of Tolkien, I thought.  Perhaps he had some other idea in a later work I have not read, but I like your plot best.

Thank you! I'm glad you like my plot here!

The enchanted isles are canonical and apparently there were mariners who landed there and slept until the end of time. We don't know at all, I think, whether Tolkien intended Tuor and Idril to be among them, although it has been suggested that one of the two was the Sleeper in the Tower of Pearl, who is mentioned in an early version of the story of the Enchanted Isles and whose identity isn't explained. 

In the published Silmarillion version, Tolkien doesn't commit himself to any specific fate for Tuor at all, just hints that he may not be dead.