A Song of Staying by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the following "In Rare Form" challenge prompts: epistolary, found poem (sort of), space opera (with maybe a touch of metafic?)

Warning for implied/referenced violence in the third chapter.

(Also, you may want to be alerted that the three chapters are not very like each other, perhaps, although they do cohere as parts of the same story?)

Apologies to anyone who thinks Finrod should not be tagged for this piece; technically, he doesn't appear.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In the far future, in a galaxy far, far away, a few lines from the Silmarillion still serve as inspiration.

Major Characters: Finrod Felagund, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Science Fiction

Challenges: In Rare Form

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 913
Posted on 30 September 2019 Updated on 30 September 2019

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is wild! So imaginative. I wonder if Tetra had seen some of the lovely fanart of Finrod that I am so fond of what he might have thought of those representations. One might venture to guess he could have found those much-admired images of our beautiful Felagund weird and offputting in appearance.

I rather liked Zeeza and Tetra, from this short glimpse I got of them, and the third chapter was heart-breaking. Even so, I'm glad Tetra found something to relate to, something to inspire him... and to remember Zeeza by. This was certainly a unique take on "space opera" - well done!

Wow, this is fascinating, and so evocative in such a small space! I'm especially impressed by Tetra's characterization. You seem to get straight to the heart of the character as a scholar thrust into the role of soldier, and lonely there. His sense of connection to Finrod seems ever so appropriate: I tend to imagine Finrod in much the same way, as a born explorer and eager student of the world, but too responsible to try to evade his duty as a king in wartime. (Not sure if that's your read on the character too--regardless, it certainly worked for me!) I also found Tetra's desire for a sort of kinship with this mysterious figure very moving. I've had times where I felt like the only people who seemed to understand just how I felt lived centuries ago. The way even a scrap of poetry can somehow make the world less lonely can be a powerful thing. Thanks for this fascinating and lovely story!