Downfall: A Triptych by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the "Easy" prompt set of the Archetypes Challenge.

(Spoilers for that prompt set in the endnotes.)

 

Rating for death of humans and animals associated with the downfall of Numenor.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The downfall of Numenor, from three different points of view: Sauron, Uinen, and Elendur, son of Isildur.

Major Characters: Elendur, Sauron, Uinen

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Archetypes

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 1, 077
Posted on 16 June 2020 Updated on 16 June 2020

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

If you are unfamiliar with Elendur, you may be interested in Oshun's bio of him on this site, but it is not necessary to read it to understand this chapter.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Your worries about literal use notwithstanding, I love what you did with the prompts. Sauron's fussy housekeeper (just trying to keep order, damnit!) attitude to the world, and his justifications of his actions, was almost amusing. Uinen's response, as well as her own reaction to the Downfall, was sobering and beautiful in its sadness. And the turtles that haunt Elendur felt very real - unlike the millions of dead people, they're tangible, and it's easy to imagine that he would fixate on their fate. It's nice to think that the dream offered him closure, of a sort.

It tells me nothing. I will just go on trying to tidy up, enforce order—even if I always seem to end up just shifting the mess from one corner of the house to the other and yes, maybe making it worse.

 

Poor Sauron- he just wants to tidy up... yeah. OK. That's convincing:)

Whether it consents to go or not. That's mor e like it!

 

I do really love the whining tone of this, the 'poor me', all I want is a tidy house.  And he is right to ask why now,why does Eru think this is just too much! I am not a scholar of Men in any way so this is interesting. 

This is incredible, the rhythm of the words is like waves, they seems to ebb and flow and vividly evoke the sea.

The description of the drowning is really effective- and I see Uinen helplessly watching, that sense of it happening 'through the midst of my body'. And she answers Sauron's whining demand for order with an honesty that is all her own.

That last line is superb- poetic.