Clear Visions by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

My Postcards from Middle-earth prompt was a virtual postcard with the message "It was an intersection of two worlds." and the following image: link.

Also written for the following prompt by Talullah in the Lotr_Sesa 2020 prompt fest:

I'd love a story or fanart featuring Andreth, either in a sweet moment with Aegnor, or something about her youth and her relationship with her family. Another nice option, would be a story after Aegnor's death - I like bittersweet stories and hopeful endings. It can be seasonal - that would be lovely, but something in the springtime would also be quite welcome.

This is more of a bittersweet moment between Andreth and Aegnor, though.

 

Teens rating for cross-cultural issues.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Aegnor sings to Andreth of Valinor.

Major Characters: Aegnor, Andreth

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Postcards from Middle-earth

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 203
Posted on 3 January 2021 Updated on 3 January 2021

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This was a nice read, sweet and sad. I liked Andreth's feistiness and her annoyance at her people being treated like children who can't handle disappointment or understand the difference between past and present (indeed, they're probably prepared to handle change better than the Eldar are). It ties in nicely with her comments in the Athrabeth, much later.

Thank you very much!

Good to hear that you see Andreth's comments here tying in well with the Atrabeth! That was what I was hoping for.

I was also thinking back to our discussion during the Silm re-read back then, about the changes in early relations between the Eldar and the Edain, where the Edain get a little more segregated than they were to begin with and what caused this.

I am still inclined to believe that this was not entirely due to Eldarin paternalism, etc. but that they were also responding to reactions from some of the Edain.

So here I made Andreth rebel against the paternalism, but sort of ignore what Aegnor says about Magor, even as she echoes his words. (Magor's accusations are uncanonical as such, but he was the one who seems to have tried to keep his people at a distance, unlike this father.)  Andreth is younger and more optimistic here!

There is also a kind of arc from Finrod singing about the Blessed Realm to Beor to Ar-Pharazon's attempted invasion of Valinor - although obviously an awful lot happens in between.