By the Margin of the Sea by StarSpray

Fanwork Information

Summary:

After a very long journey, Elwing comes to Alqualondë.

Major Characters: Elwing, Eärendil, Olwë, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 559
Posted on 3 April 2014 Updated on 3 April 2014

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

“Now when Eärendil was long time gone Elwing became lonely and afraid; and wandering by the margin of the sea she came near to Alqualonde, where lay the Telerin fleets. There the Teleri befriended her..." --The Silmarillion, "Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath"


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


What a wonderful capture of what is one of the most romantic moments in the Silmarillion. I loved Elwing plunging into the water, and her sudden fear as she jumped.

for a moment I was not leaping into calm sun-spangled waters from a ship’s bow, but from the cliffs of Sirion into churning, angry waters below.

Of course that memory would come up! 

I also loved Elwing and Earendil's argument on the shore. 

“I would have been sundered from you forever,” I said. It was the same argument we had had time and time again, but I was more certain than ever that I was right.

Reading this it really struck me that yes, they probably would have been sundered forever if Elwing hadn't insisted on coming with. Good thing she did!

I also enjoyed her introduction to Alqualonde and her reflections on the city and her long-sundered kin. The fact that she has to keep on reminding herself that she need not fear is such a bittersweet detail -- safety must feel as foreign as jewel-strewn sands!

It was lovely to plunge back into the archives and find such a lovely story on my first click!