Froth by maeglin

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A Ring-Wraith reflects.

Major Characters: Nazgûl, Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 541
Posted on 22 June 2015 Updated on 22 June 2015

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

 

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Hi, Himring.  Glad you found it interesting!  I've always found the canonical (and most fanon) explanations of Sauron's seduction of those who became the Nazgul to be overly simplistic.  Sauron was, after all, subtle enough to earn the title "Master of Deceit."  

About their freedom - I rely on Gandalf's account in UT: [i]"`I will report this myself to the Lord of Barad-dûr,' he said loftily, "to whom I speak from afar on great matters that concern us. But all that you need to know on the mission that he has given you is where 'the Shire' lies. That, says Mithrandir, is northwest from here some six hundred miles, on the borders of the seaward Elvish country." To his pleasure Saruman saw that even the Witch-king did not relish that. You must cross Isen by the Fords, and then rounding the Mountains' end make for Tharbad upon Greyflood. Go with speed, and I will report to your Master that you have done so."  This skilful speech convinced even the Witch-king for the moment that Saruman was a faithful ally, high in Sauron's confidence. At once the Riders left the Gate and rode in haste to the Fords of Isen."[/i], which suggests the Nazgul retained some level of independent thought.