The Soldier by Fadesintothewest

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Unbeta'd. Apologies for what I missed. Ive been meaning to, needing to write. This was what came out. I'll return to it later and hopefully get a better handle on it, but I wanted to share it.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Fingon finds the bones of an unknown soldier. The short story that follows is what he does with those bones.

Major Characters: Fingon, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 134
Posted on 29 July 2015 Updated on 29 July 2015

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Long overdue review for your wonderful stories, fades!  I really liked this!  To echo Oshun, it's so poignant and imaginative.  I love your vision of elvish spirits and the varying perception of the unseen among elves. The Laiquendi always have struck me, similar to what the Sindarin soldier notes, as fey, more primal and "in touch" with the natural world compared with the "educated" Noldor.  What you have written so beautifully here resonates with me.   Love the scene at the end - the silence of the valley, then all the noises of nature resuming as the dead elf's spirit settles into its home.  You capture the sense of the mythic and magical so well - and a touch of horror, too.  Well done!

Oh thank you pandemonium! ANd to think I am just finding this review. I came looking for a story that has been haunting me that I want to read, and lo and behold a review!!!  

I dearly love the Green elves, the wood elves, any of the supposedly non-civilized elves. I just think, especially our beloved Noldor, removed themselves a bit too much from who they were, thus some of the discontent. Don't get me wrong I dearly, dearly, love the Noldor: their beauty, their tragedy, its why I write them so much. The Green elves are certainly more in touch. I think in choosing to stay they didn't sever that life force as much as the clans that Journeyed. 

Thanks again for the review! While late, it makes me happy to read!