The Seventh Avenger by ElrondsScribe

Fanwork Information

Summary:

This is the tale of how an Elf became an Avenger, and what exactly that means to him. AU, obviously. From just before The Avengers to Civil War, probably through Infinity War eventually.

Strictly bookverse Tolkien, strictly movie-verse Avengers.

Major Characters: Glorfindel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Crossover, Experimental

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death, Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 15 Word Count: 25, 548
Posted on 1 March 2016 Updated on 7 March 2018

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, I love this!  What a great idea - I wish I'd thought of it, I'm actually a little jealous.  Glorfindel the Avenger, oh my...

 

He felt strangely clumsy, as if he was trying to wear a costume for school that did not fit him.

 

That's a nice little touch - reminding the reader of all the little (and not so little!) kids who dress up as superheroes.

 

I can't wait to see what you do with this.  I'm hooked :)

"You know, I used to love fantasy novels when I was in high school," he said conversationally. "Maybe that's why I still believe in heroes."

Wonderful - you've captured him perfectly, I can imagine Nick Fury saying this in one of the movies.  Maybe to Loki or Thor?

"So here's the deal: I can make you disappear from every record about you that exists - SHIELD's good like that. Nobody'll ever find you - or any others of your kind, I might add -" Glorfindel let out a small groan. "- the way I did."

"Should have known I wouldn't be the only one," sighed the Elf

OOH - there are others?  Who?!  (I guess I'll just have to keep reading...)

 

 

 "Introduced himself and everything; said he was 'burdened with glorious purpose' or some bullshit. 

*Snorts*

(Glorfindel solidly resisted the urge to break out in song - Who's strong and brave, here to save the American way? - and from cracking age or ice-related jokes.)

*Snorts again*

Quick question...who wrote LOTR in this 'verse?  Tolkien assisted by Glorfindel?

 

Steve blinked. "How many of you people are there?!" he asked in amazement.

I suspect I'm going to get very tired of that question. "Hundreds of thousands, probably a few million," he said. "Barely a thousandth of the human population of course - which, considering your lifespan and frailty is quite impressive - but there are quite a few of us."

Oh, brilliant!  I'm in love with this AU :D

I really like the dynamic he has with Natasha.  I feel like they could be good friends.  And I'm a huge fan of Cap, but I can see how his demeanor would rub someone the wrong way.  

Reading about what the Quendi have suffered over the years makes me so sad, though.

"You wouldn't happen to have a pair of wings handy?"

"I'm an Elf, not a fairy!" huffed Glorfindel, and he marched down the raft and launched himself into the night.

"Geez Louise, do all Elves get offended this easily?" muttered Steve as he jumped after Glorfindel.

"Heard that!" came the distant cry.

I love how easily he falls into the trademark MCU banter.  And I really like your Tony - child with a new toy sounds about right.

 

Somehow it seemed only natural to look to Rogers for orders.

Oh, now that's interesting!  Not the dynamic I'd have expected, so looking forwards to see how it plays out.

 I want to know how Loki used it to turn two of the sharpest men I know into his personal flying monkeys."

"Monkeys?" Thor's brow furrowed in confusion. "I do not understand -"

"I do!" Steve grinned, looking quite proud of himself. "I understood that reference."

Tony rolled his eyes. Glorfindel gave the Captain a smile that he hoped said "please don't embarrass yourself" as plainly as possible. He immediately regretted this as Steve's face fell.

That's one of my favourite scenes from the film :) I love the added layer of wisdom, snark and honour that Glorfindel brings to proceedings.  Next time I watch it I'm going to be looking for him!

Loki's smile twisted into a sneer. "Did you hear it from Thor?" he mocked. "Was he sad and mournful?"

"Very," returned Glorfindel, who had just found what seemed to be Loki's mind, a vast and twisted maze full of traps, entire chambers held hostage by some unknown force of great power.

Great description of how Loki's mind works at this point in the MCU.  This is exactly how I interpret him.

 "Not you, Goldilocks," he added to Glorfindel. "Just Mad-Eye Moody here."

"Goldilocks?" scoffed Glorfindel. "That's the best you can come up with?"

Heh.  It did actually dawn on me a while ago that Goldilocks is a pretty direct translation of Glorfindel's name.  I plan to have some fun with that in a silly ficlet at some point.

I have stuff to do this afternoon, sadly, but will be back later to finish devouring this story; it's great fun, thank you so much for sharing.

 

 

Turgon and Finarfin, ranting and fuming in multiple languages in much the same style as poor Nielsen; Finrod, annoyed that he'd missed the fun, of all things; Ecthelion, trying not to show his resentment at being left uncontacted for so long under his concern; and many others.



Heh.  I like concerned Turgon and Finarfin, and jealous Finrod made me laugh - maybe next time!

 

And Glorfindel will totally have screaming fans...seriously, Glorfindel, are you mad/blind!?