And the wind as sweet as honey in the mouth by bunn

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Elrond meets his foster-father Maglor again, after the fall of Beleriand.

There is mention of the deaths of Elros and Maedhros in this, but neither is described in detail.

Major Characters: Elrond, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 020
Posted on 12 January 2017 Updated on 12 January 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This was lovely. I enjoyed so much about this: The scenery, their easy conversation in spite of everything that happened, Elrond's protective behaviour (and Maglor's occasional reassurance that he can look after himself), Maglor's musing about the fate of Men, the peace between them... and the idea that Elrond will drop by every now and then, and that Maglor wrote the Noldolantë especially for him. That's such a beautiful and reconciliatory image!

Oh, thank you! 
I felt that although Maglor does not go among Elves again, he must have talked to someone about the events at the end of the War of Wrath so they went into the official history -  Elrond seemed the likeliest candidate.  But I loved writing them just chatting together too. 

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!   It's a heartbreaking situation for both of them really, isn't it?  Maglor's lost everything, Elrond presumably has a pile of duties and responsibilities but not so many personal connections.  Not sure if he has met Celebrian yet, since they don't marry till the Third Age, probably not...

Oh, this was beautiful! I love the dialogue between them. It feels so natural, as though those 400 years did not exist, and they have been continuously one united family. I love the touches of humor too.

I really didn't see the ending coming! I probably should have--I've written my own Noldolante origin stories--but it surprised and delighted me to see the story take that turn and to know that the survival of this great song of Maglor's was due to the intercession of Elrond. The idea that the Elven stories and songs would have represented only a particular point of view--and that the Feanorian point of view would have been largely untold--is important to my own work, and I loved seeing how you represented it here.

I'm glad you liked it!    I think that when you have people who are friends and have a lot in common like this, they can come back together after a long break and still have that comfortable ability to fit in together and just talk.  And they both have things they need to tell someone about!

As I already mentioned, I really like this.

So many good bits in here!

Here are some that I think the others may not have picked out yet:

"The Sons of Fëanor were remembered in song by the Elves. The songs were laments for the fallen." (Ouch, Feanor!)

"There are a few of those, although I think people are a little wary about presenting them to me, for some reason." (nice nod to Aragorn!)

And this:

"I don’t want it hanging around me any more than it does already."