Nothing Collapses by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the B2MeM daily prompt: All goes onward and outward, nothing collapses, / And to die is different from what any one supposed, and luckier. -Walt Whitman, excerpt from "Song of Myself"

And from the first line generator: CHARACTER tripped over a root and hissed a curse.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Dor Firn-i-Guinar did not sink with the rest of Beleriand, and it is a place heavy with memory.

Major Characters: Elrond

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: B2MeM 2020

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 310
Posted on 13 March 2020 Updated on 13 March 2020

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Post apocalyptic feels!

Things I liked and found interesting:

- The island being sentient and connected to the people living here. I find this thematically very close to Tolkien's work, in which lands beloved by their inhabitants (Rivendell, Lothlorien but also the Shire) are beautiful and "give back" beauty to their dwellers. Though Luthien and Beren gone, it is a testimony of their character that their lands still remember them.

- Re: The land welcoming Elrond, as an heir to Luthien and Beren, as if the land were a long lost relative.

- Elrond rooting for his Sindarin family. We see a lot of Elrond the Noldo, and some people forget he is also Elrond the Sinda, that Luthien is EPIC and that Elrond would definitly be attracted to this side of the family.

- The attention given to the "commong" details such as shards of pottery. The kind of things that give archeologs little squees.