Laying the Foundation by Lotrfan

| | |

Fanwork Notes

 

Author notes:

I have taken a few liberties with the Second Age timeline and canon. I just really wanted Erestor and Elrond to have this conversation.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Elrond and Erestor lead the survivors of the defeat at Eregion to a new home, which will eventually become Rivendell.

Major Characters: Elrond, Erestor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 197
Posted on 12 October 2016 Updated on 12 October 2016

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like the banter between these two! It's grouchy but obviously affectionate as well.

""We are building a city for refugees, Erestor. It is meant to be a haven, a sanctuary. It must be accessible, not remote,""

I liked that line! It's a very "Elrond" thing to say, I think.

""The House of Fëanor and that pledge of mine died on a bloody field in Eregion, lashed to Sauron's banner and pierced by Orc arrows,""

The contrast between Elrond's hopeful enthusiasm and Erestor's blunt cynicism is fun to read!

""He has experience defending Gondolin, which was in a valley, although one much larger in scale than this one. He should be able to use that knowledge to our benefit here. He has adequate training battling Morgoth's creatures, I'll give him that.""

I really like the analysis of why Glorfindel was chosen for this role! It makes sense, though I'd never given it any thought before.

Great story!