The Duel by lightofthetrees

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Originally posted as part of the Silmarillion40 event.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The (in)famous song duel at Tol-in-Gaurhoth, as told by Finrod.

Major Characters: Finrod Felagund, Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: Creator Chooses Not to Rate

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 550
Posted on 8 October 2017 Updated on 8 October 2017

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Chilling. The song duel between Finrod and Sauron is such a strong piece of poetry, and I would have found it hard to add anything to it, but you have really pulled it off. The effort it costs Finrod to withstand Sauron, the pain he suffers, but also the joy and power of his own music come across very well. That the welcome and soothing sight of Amarie was the very thing that betrayed Finrod was a bitter twist that adds another layer of sadness. Well done!

(On a humorous note, what was Beren thinking, advising Finrod not to bring the harp? You ALWAYS need a harp on a secret mission! Fingon will confirm!)

Oh, that was beautiful and heartbreaking because, even though Finrod is so hopeful, we all know how that is going to end - and the way it does is devastating! Sauron just knows where to strike, with cirurgical precision and ouch. It hurt - but it hurt good!