The Fairest Vessels That Ever Sailed by Lindariel

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story takes place during the first seven years of the Sun and Moon, as Alatáriel and Teleporno accomplish their first great deed in Endor.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Teleporno and Alatáriel find outlets for their knowledge as they begin to get used to life in Middle-Earth.

Major Characters: Celeborn, Círdan, Ents, Galadriel, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: In Rare Form

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 8 Word Count: 13, 698
Posted on 23 August 2019 Updated on 3 April 2020

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

This chapter is set about three months after the first rise of the Moon.

Alatáriel and Teleporno take their first road trip in Middle-Earth.  This chapter takes place in the early spring, about nine months (ten moons) after the rise of Anor.

Being in the wilderness helps Alatáriel remember how to work and to have fun.

Language barriers can be frustrating!  This was a hard chapter to write.  

On the way into Nimbrethil, Alatáriel and Teleporno learn a little more about Círdan's history.

Alatáriel is a tree-hugger, and Círdan is her student.

Wherein Alatáriel learns that everything old is new again. This chapter takes place in early summer, about three months after the trip to Nimbrethil. Anor and Ithil have been ruling the skies for a year by the new reckoning.

Alatáriel writes to her brother.

This chapter began as a response to the September 2019 challenge In Rare Form, and the form I chose was Epistolary.  Better late than never finished and shared!


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you so much!  I'm still at the point in my fiction writing where I'm doing it by instinct, and I get very nervous when I have to put some of it out there for other folks to see.  It's so much easier to do that knowing there is appreciation for what I am trying to do.  The story I want to tell (which is at heart about thingmakery/subcreation) is perforce set at a time of enormous social and even cosmic change.  It's important to me that I both stick as closely as I can to whatever canon is available and also make some attempt to have my characters grapple with what is going on around them, from delight to PTSD and everything in between.

Thanks!  One of the things I want to explore about Galadriel is her identity as a sort of Yavanna-Jesuit, that is, one of the most deeply educated in the branches of knowledge for which Yavanna is renowned.  (As I look at her history in Middle-Earth I see the influence of that early education playing out across especially Eldarin but also Edain culture, and I will be writing more about it as this series develops.)  I imagine that her meeting a sentient being who is also clearly tied to Yavanna would have set up a form of religious resonance for her, especially in the first full spring season of Beleriand under Anor.  Perhaps Galadriel's hunting cousins would have preferred to meet Ents rather than Entwives, given their shared ties to Oromë!

Thanks!  I feel like I've always known how Galadriel (and others) would and could talk to trees, but this is the first time I've had to consider at length how she might have gone about "encouraging" them.

As for Teleporno, well, he's an old-fashioned kinda guy.  He'll probably not let that phrase slip again for years!