Situation Assessment by Grundy

| | |

Fanwork Notes

May eventually turn into something more.

Written for the Start to Finish challenge, using the opening line from The Martian.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Beren, newly arrived in Nargothrond, explains his predicament to Finrod.

Major Characters: Beren, Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Start to Finish

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 857
Posted on 9 November 2019 Updated on 9 November 2019

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh, you actually chose the quotation that initially drew me to it. Well done! Poor Beren! Poor Finrod! But I really love them for their response to this provocation.

Not a great fan of what Thingol has allowed himself to turn into.

So I told him elven fathers counted their daughters of little worth if they set their bride price so low, and that he hadn’t seen the last of me – and the next time we met, I’d have a Silmaril in my hand.”

In other words, Beren had made everything worse.

Made everything worse for sure. But I really admire that he stuck to Thingol in that case someone needed to say it! No wonder Luthien fell in love with him.

Heh, as soon as I saw that quote I pretty much had to, and Beren sprang immediately to mind for the person in Middle Earth most likely to say it.

No one will convince me that Beren is not a deadpan snarker between the 'for little price do elven-kings sell their daughters' and 'even now I have a Silmaril in my hand!'

It's good to get a glimpse of Finrod's feelings and assessment of the situation at this moment and your take is interesting and sympathetic.

I like Beren nervously twirling the ring.

I'd be interested to learn whether Finrod is just underestimating the impending problems with his cousins here or whether this introduces a different angle on their reactions.

Nice!

I enjoyed so many different aspects of this; I appreciated the way in which the cultural differences played into the unfolding of Beren's situation (in particular his refusal to back down).  Finrod's diplomatic skill is show nicely here, for all the good it may do him.  That said, I wonder as well whether he reads the sons of Feanor accurately or no.  I'd love to read more of this.

Like the others, I really loved your exploration of the cultural differences between mortals and Elves. Only a life can pay for a life... *shivers*

I also liked the idea that Beren could, perhaps, have begged for a less impossible errand. I doubt Thingol would've agreed! After all, he very much doesn't Beren as a son-in-law! But it's an interesting thought. Of course, Beren is too proud for that!

Yes, I think the initial assessment is pretty spot-on... and applies to Finrod as well. (He should've known better than to swear an oath!)