In Silence And In Song by Idrils Scribe

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Welcome to Mereth Aderthad, the Feast of Reuniting! The High King of the Noldor is throwing a truly spectacular party. Tables are set with silver, Beleriand's finest wines sparkle in crystal glasses, and Fingolfin eagerly awaits his guests. Invitations were sent far and wide, but how many will turn up? And is that a dark, terrible secret tucked away behind the festive greenery?

This story is a holiday gift for Dawn Felagund, beta-reader extraordinaire, who requested a meeting between Maglor and Daeron and a look at Fingolfin. The story has both, though Lalwen insisted on doing most of the talking. 

Many thanks to Grundy for the excellent beta!

Major Characters: Daeron, Fingolfin, Fingon, Lalwen

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Family, General

Challenges: Season's Greetings

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 3, 538
Posted on 13 December 2019 Updated on 13 December 2019

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Ah, but you know me and a feel-good story would never be as well-loved by me as one that is not afraid to bring on the doom! :D Thank you so much--I love it! As always, your ability to write politics (which I cannot do) is impeccable, and I very much enjoyed seeing the consequences of Alqualonde fully hashed out. I hadn't really thought this through till now!

I love how you establish parallels--each king has his warrior and his harpist, and they connect so easily and naturally that they do truly seem, as Daeron says, to be of the same people. This parallelism continues when Daeron and Maglor begins to play--and then abruptly sunders as the theft of the Silmarils and the Kinslaying begin to darken the song. Your subtlety here in showing the full impact of the Kinslaying at Alqualonde was powerful.

Thank you again for such a thoughtful gift. <3

Ahh, I'm so glad you liked it!

I'm so lucky that you like your stories complex and doom-filled. It seems like I just can't write anything else about the First Age. This started out as a friendly harping competition, until I remembered that Daeron and Mablung were the only Doriathrim to join the party. I started to wonder why, fell down an intercultural diplomacy rabbit hole and wound up with this disaster party instead. 

Mablung and Fingon getting along like a house on fire came about because of al the Noldor, Mablung chooses to join Fingon's company when he goes to the Nirnaeth many years later. I hope they got in one more night of fun and drinking before Doom struck again. 

Writing something for you is always a pleasure. Happy holidays!