Echoes from the past, reflections of yesterday by Idnarrac Serdna

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The end of the Third Age is seen through the eyes of Olórin, who observes it as a completion of events of the past ages of Arda.

Major Characters: Gandalf, Valar

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Anniversary Contest

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 169
Posted on 27 September 2007 Updated on 27 September 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


When it came to the section for Aragorn before the Morannon I was completely absorbed in movieverse, despite the set up you had given the reader, I could not have been farther in my mind from the First Age, and then you hit me with the comparison to Fingolfin calling out Morgoth. Nor had I ever seen the comparison to the War of Wrath when the eagles arrived. Very nice work.

Lovely!  It is so good to see you here, Compa_Mighty!  There are a few places where the wording stumbles, but the overall effect is magnificent - this is history writ large, a perspective that no one else could have.  Seldom do we see the Valar active in the events of the Third Age, but through Gandalf's eyes, that seems clear.  I loved how you compared Theoden to Oromë - straight off the pages of the original, but now in a new light!  Good job, and I hope to see more from you. 

Hello MithLuin, it was great to see you participate in the contest as well. I am sorry for not answering sooner to your post, but I have been really busy. I would very much appreciate for you to tell me where the wording stumbles. Any feedback is always good.

 Thanks again for reading!

First of all let me say that I found this well written and very interesting. It was a new take on something very familiar and it was cleverly done, however I am afraid that for me personally this is still a Lotr story rather than a Silmarillion story, whcih of course doesn;t make it any less, just for me personally made it feel a bit misplaced. Still very nice work. :)

This story has a lovely touch of AU, I mean Oromë on Pellenor! That would have been so awesome, it would feel like him to ignore Manwé’s will for a good fight, then again I can see Tulkas doing this even more so! As I was reading this and all the allusions you wove into the retelling of the Siege of Minas Tirith and the final battle against Sauron, I suddenly started to miss Túrin in all of this, as much as I like Beren, Túrin stature as a warrior was greater and there were moments where the mentioning of Beren felt a bit off, imho. Anyway, this was a nice peace that paid tribute to all of Tolkien’s works – including the Hobbit.

Thanks again to everyone who reviewed my story. It was a real pleasure sharing with you and participating in the contest.

 

I am writing this review to say I edited the story for a few "where" that were actually "were" and slipped past the first revision. I hope it is better now, and I would appreciate you telling me any other mistakes you might find.

 

andcares@hotmail.com

 Thanks!

A much belated review here and one that comes from a circuitous route at that! 

This is a great view from "30,000 feet" for all that ties to the War of the Ring. And how better to achieve this than having Olórin as narrator?  That is a very effective device.  As a dedicated Silm-geek (and also one who relishes the very weirdest bits of the History of Middle-earth), I loved the way you brought in all the past events into the light.

With regard to fan fiction or even a more orthodox reading of the trilogy, my opinion is that the better stories written in the Lord of the Rings milieu are informed by those who have read (and even re-read) The Silmarillion et al. since this is the foundation mythos for the trilogy.  Your story is a perfect illustration of why this is so.

Very nice, and seeing as how this is your lone offering, I hope that you will consider writing more and posting your work here.

~ pandemonium