The Fourth Station by MithLuin

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This is part of one of my WIPs that got out of control, stretching on many chapters past the original idea.  None of it has seen a beta yet, but I polished up this section in time for the deadline. 

Edit:  This story has now been posted as chapter 7 of "Lessons from the Mountain" - enjoy!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maedhros meets someone he does not expect in the Halls of Mandos. 

First Place (Short Works) - SWG's Silmarillion Anniversary Contest (2007)

Major Characters: Maedhros, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Anniversary Contest, Halls of Mystery

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 998
Posted on 30 September 2007 Updated on 30 September 2007

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Never before seen...not even by a beta ;). 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you for your kind words.  I know that many people consider Nerdanel to have survived.  But in my opinion, if any elf would die of grief...it should be her, the poor woman.  Maitimo alone didn't *really* send her over the edge.  It was just so much bad news, all at once...and that was the last part.  But he is definitely hearing "It's all my fault." 

Oh this one is lovely, it is sad and bittersweet and just very veyr nice to read! Very well done!

I like how Nerdanel lingered and remained strong until she finally was given the news on what had befallen her family on the other side of the sea, how she no longer recognised the sons sh had once brought up and how that brokeher heart. Very nicely done. I always like Nerdanel and trying to imagine her reactions once she finds out what has happened to her sons.

I also very much liked the touch of how it was the mention of daughters that had estranged Feanor and Nerdanel in the first place, a lovely touch which with the backstory and the odd ways couple works is a very beleivable and human touch.

very nicely written 

Nerdanel fascinates me.  She must be the only elf to have *seven* children (and all sons at that!), and of course she's the only one who could ever influence Fëanor.  I see her as very strong and...unflappable, as well as wise.  *Not* the type of elf who would usually die of grief!  But the news from Middle Earth would definitely have pierced her heart like a sword.  I tried to think of what seemingly innocent comment of hers would make Fëanor suspicious enough to lose his trust in her - and the daughters seemed innocuous and unreasonable enough!  Thank you so much for the review, ford_of_bruinen!

I cannot help to wonder what Maedhros is learning to discover the rules and boundaries in Mandos :) It feels like a story on its own. I was however unfamiliar with Fourth Station of the Cross, so I searched for it, read up about it and read the story anew. To me it surely placed the story in a new light. I will admit that I felt disappointed of Nerdanel not understanding the hearts of her sons that they would pursue the oath with such fire and that this mere fact undid her (also Mithluin, I wasn't so sure why Nerdanel was there and the realisation that she was dead came at a perfect timing). Yet it makes sense, for her to remain faithful to her husband and sons: not willing to believe (like Mary remained faithful to her son Jesus when all his disciples fled). However, it is her sadness here, a sadness in her heart she has to share and this comes out beautifully in this piece. In her own way, she is seeking for her own healing and redemption and seeking out her eldest feels like a good start.

Besides this theme, I like your take on how Fëanor reacted to having daughters and how he would see it as a weakness to have them. This might be a taboo to address this patriarchal behaviour and people might fault Fëanor for that, but there is such grief lying underneath it, so I feel its fair to give Fëanor a hearsay about this in Mandos (oops I hope I just didn't sick a bunny on you). Ok I am going to cease rambling, there is much more I want to say about this piece, but I will safe that for another time. This is a great story and gives the reader much to ponder about!

</i>*It feels like a story on its own.*<i>

 It is!  :)  This particular WiP is called 'Lessons from the Mountain,' and it begins with Maedhros' death and judgement.  Thank you for such a thoughtful review, Rhapsody!  I am flattered that you looked up the Stations of the Cross to understand it better.  Nerdanel perhaps should have known them all better, but she was reacting to the shock.  The last she heard from them was Alqualondë and the Doom of Mandos.  To hear that they had *all* died (except Maglor, who was still lost to her)...was just too much.  Also, if she had heard the story from someone a bit more...sympathetic...to the Fëanoreans, she might have understood it better.  Instead, she's hearing that her oldest ended as a thief and a murderer, universally condemned.  No doubt she is blaming herself for not staying with them..what did she do wrong as a mother? and all that.

I agree that the daughter idea is very...charged.  I hoped to show that Fëanor's complaint had little to do with patriarchy (the man had 7 male heirs, after all!), but was more his own deepest-seated insecurity and fear of betrayal.  His mother abandoned him, and his father (alone of all elves) married another woman.  Nerdanel has always been his steady anchor </i>apart<i> from all of that...so it was the only way I could think of to identify her with Indis in his mind.  Not that he would ever admit any of this!  Which is why Maedhros' conversation with Fëanor is going to be quite...interesting...when I write it ;). 

Thank you again for such a kind and insightful review! 

I often wonder what Nerdanel would have said to her sons if she were to meet any of them. This is a very interesting, bittersweet take on a possible meeting. The reference to the Way of the Cross makes your story more poignant. This is a wonderful read. Thank you. I enjoyed it very much.