Young Fëanáro Makes A Stone by oshun

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A Birthday Story for gandalfs_apprentice on the Elessar and is also a bit of take-off on the Sorcerer’s Apprentice in honor of her penname.

Major Characters: Aulë, Fëanor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Humor

Challenges: Gift of a Story, Inspiration

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 860
Posted on 20 October 2007 Updated on 20 October 2007

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

 

Author's notes on the Elessar:

Canon: Bend it; twist it; tie it in a knot. When the person who introduced me to the existence of Tolkien fanfiction asks for a specific birthday story, I cannot refuse. And, gandalfs_apprentice had the grace and courtesy to make a request which she knew could be bent and twisted to bridge the gap between my favorite canon (the First Age and its greatest characters) and her own (Third Age and Aragorn) when she asked for a story about the Elessar gem. I started re-reading the relevant canon as soon as the request was made, but, oh, my, there are so many versions. So, I have decided to ignore them all, except one of the least likely: Fëanor made it and gave it to Maedhros before he died and Maedhros gave it to Fingon. That, of course, creates the problem of obviating the gift from Maedhros to Fingon of the dragon-helm of Azâghâl (or not?), which I rather like for the other canon elements that follow upon that gift. Or maybe he gave Fingon lots of gifts (now I do like that!).

How did it get to Gandalfs_aprentices's Aragorn? Well, Maedhros gave it to Fingon and Fingon gave it to Gil-galad, who then must have given it to Elros or Elrond and somehow Elros took it to Númenor and then it came back to Middle-earth and was passed down to Aragorn--whoops, wait a minute, through Galadriel? OK. Stuck right before that for the moment. Good enough? Probably not.

More: There are surely about a dozen versions. Next year for her birthday, I will do a textual analysis (just kidding, although I have been talked into worse). I do recall that in at least some incarnations, the Elessar is said to hold the light of the Sun (but since Feanor in my canon created it before the Sun, I didn't worry about that). I have also read, and I am getting them all confused again, that one could look into it and see visions of some sort, and, further, it was also purported to have had healing powers. But in my little ficlet--the stone is just a stone (or should I say a fabricated imitation of a gemstone--in other words an "Elfstone"--the Eldarin equivalent of man-made, synthetic, fake).


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love it! Young Feanor and a Vala! Maybe those Powers were good for something after all....Feanor, we know did many great things. It's nice to posit the Elessar among them....

Would like to see your AU story carried through, though. So you're knocking Galadriel out of the picture, and it wasn't Arwen, after all, who gave the stone to Aragorn? It was another heirloom like Narsil. Hmmmm. Why is it special for Aragorn, then?

Calling your bluff!

Thanks, anyway, despite the calling of the bluff. You really do want me to think about the Third Age don't you? I'll work my way down through the Ages somehow--kind of like chain of custody in the O.J. Simpson murder trial or tracking Celeborn and Galadriel's movements from the First Age to the Third Age. Nothing is ever easy. Except Dumbledore is obviously gay. That made my weekend and tied up some plot holes--whoops wrong fandon (although I could say that about Aragorn too, I guess, but I won't. It was your birthday present afterall).

Oh, good! Gandalf's apprentice already unwrapped this.  As noted in my effusive comments in response to your LJ entry, I was really tickled with this story, canonical debates notwithstanding. I'll leave that to you & G.A.

The description of Fëanáro's trial and error and his burning desire to get his hands on the better instrumentation in Aulë's locked room all ring very true to the scientific experience. I loved your description of crystallization, too.

Lots of other details appealed to me as well...Aulë's good fit into his incarnate form and his laughing to the point of potential decorporealization (bursting into a mass of writhing tentacles?  Oops, wrong story) are great!

Thanks again and this is definitely the venue where I can admit that I was certainly inspired by your stories of scientific experimentation and method, particulary as found in your stories: The Apprentice, Cat's Paws, and Risk Assessment. I was not being overly modest to be a bit uneasy about even naming the influences, as I have never done well in science myself. (I have been fortunate to have been able to rub shoulders with some brilliant friends and relatives who were able to talk about such questions in an accessible manner.) Thanks so much for your comments.

Got this via the random story generator, and oh, I love it!

I particularly liked that the early relationship between Feanor and Aule was so amiable, and I like seeing Feanor as a slightly geeky, slightly eager apprentice... but with that wariness of the Valar intact/there already.

The running joke about the keys was most enjoyable - and that last line! :D! As always, your prose is full of colourful character and vibrant dialogue. (And the chemistry talk - phwoar! Went over my head, but I'm an idiot.). 

Great work, Oshun! 

Thanks, Klose. I am so glad that you liked it. Aule is my favorite Valar and you know I adore Feanor, especially the young Feanor. "(And the chemistry talk - phwoar! Went over my head, but I'm an idiot.)." Funny story actually: My daughter, when she was just out of high school dated a young man from a family of Indian diamond merchants. He was a lively and bright young man, who taught me several things, among them the history of Jainism, the concept of "conflict diamonds" and how artificial stones are made. (Of course, their relationship was a real Romeo and Juliet affair and not fated to be, due to religious and family pressures.) Anyway, I refreshed my memory on the process through the trusty internet. Could not leave you thinking I actually know anything about chemistry!