Maitimo and Findekáno

Series compiled by oshun

| | |

Stories written within the same universe and story arc. The featured characters are Fingon and Maedhros but also includes at various points most of the Finweans and their descendants. (Many, but far from all, of these stories include mature themes. Please see individual stories for ratings.)

Series Information

Summary:

Stories written within the same universe and story arc. The featured characters are Fingon and Maedhros but also includes at various points most of the Finweans and their descendants. (Many, but far from all, of these stories include mature themes. Please see individual stories for ratings.)

Major Characters: Amarië, Amras, Amrod, Anairë, Aredhel, Caranthir, Celebrimbor, Celegorm, Curufin, Elrond, Elros, Fëanor, Finarfin, Fingolfin, Fingon, Finrod Felagund, Finwë, Galadriel, Gil-galad, Idril, Maedhros, Maglor, Nerdanel, Sons of Fëanor, Turgon

Major Relationships:

Genre: Drama, General, Humor, Romance

Challenges:


Fanworks in "Maitimo and Findekáno"

This is a Writing fanwork

Two for Trouble by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Written for the SWG July 2007  "The Terrible Twos!" Challenge.

This is a Writing fanwork

Maitimo and Findekáno by oshun

Warnings: Mature Themes

Story of young Fingon’s love for Maedhros and its reciprocation. Set in Tirion before the creation of the Simarils. (Slash.)
MEFA 2007, Second Place: Romance: Second Age or Earlier

This is a Writing fanwork

Lack of Privacy by oshun

Warnings: Mature Themes

(Maedhros/Fingon) This was written in response to teasing by IgnobleBard that I had cut out the love scene from the story I wrote him for his birthday and Halloween, Do You Believe in Ghosts? So, here it is, only a slightly belated Christmas present. (Warning: it is not really, unlike the Ghosts story that prompted it, a comic piece.)

This is a Writing fanwork

The Fire of Their Hearts Was Young by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Response to the Slashy Santa (Jingle Bells in June) request by Ennorwen for a story “Set sometime after The Flight of The Noldor, and despite everything at least somewhat hopeful in tone." The story is slash and the pairing is Finrod and Fingon.

**MEFA 2007 Nominee**

This is a Writing fanwork

Love Poem by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

In the interests of being a good member of a community that has chosen to observe National Poetry Month and the risk of great personal embarrassment, I present my humble effort in two blessedly short verses. So, before I lose my courage, I offer my view, tin-ear and all, on what I see as the greatest almost-canon love story of The Silmarillion. (Implied slash.)

This is a Writing fanwork

The Dragon Helm of Belegost by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

 

B2MeM, March 7, 2011, Belegost, prompt: Overcoming prejudices is as hard in Middle-earth as in our primary universe. Write a story or poem or create artwork where the characters try to reach across racial or gender or any other barrier.

 

Summary: Maedhros gives Fingon a gift; Fingon holds a strong prejudice against certain forms of Dwarven aesthetics. A true drabble written in dialogue only.

 

This is a Writing fanwork

Lullaby by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

MEFA 2011 NOMINEE
After the death of Fingolfin, Fingon says good-bye before taking Ereinion and his mother to the Havens. The lyrics of the song are important to me, because I chose Fingon as the father of Gil-galad because Orodreth was simply not big enough for me.

This is a Writing fanwork

My Shining Stars by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

And now for something a bit controversial: Elrond stands on the deck of the ship carrying him to Aman writing notes in a journal.
MEFA 2008, Second Place, Elves: House of Elrond
SWG Silmarillion Anniversary Contest, Third Place Winner, Short Works

This is a Writing fanwork

A Vault of Topless Trees by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Prompt for B2MeM Day 5, Menegroth: Write a story that will illustrate the consequences of isolation. Galadriel stays in Doriath, while Finrod leaves without her. Thank you so much to the writers of the Lizard Council for suggestions and corrections.

This is a Writing fanwork

To Place Oneself above Loyalty or Betrayal by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Write a story where the characters have to decide between loyalty or betrayal. Celebrimbor makes his choice at Nargothrond. I’m pushing a little here to squeeze out a few more passport stamps for myself. For March 9, B2MeM 2011, Nargothrond.

This is a Writing fanwork

The Feast of Reuniting by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Written to the prompt to start a story with Charles Dickens' opening line from A Tale of Two Cities: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." (Perhaps, it could be read as a non-spoilery trailer for my Mereth Aderthad.)

This is a Writing fanwork

My Captain and My King by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

A biased account of the leadership qualities of Maedhros written by a die-hard supporter. Some might call this piece the epitome of the literary form of the unreliable narrator. This is one follower's reflections upon Maedhros. Since The Silmarillion is filled with events in the life of Maedhros, one may draw their own conclusions, but remember that history is written by the victors.

This is a Writing fanwork

Harvest Dance by oshun

Warnings: Sexual Content (Mild)

Birthday story written in response to a solicitation of a request from minuial_nuwing. A mild slashy romp. Nothing serious. (All your fault, Min: When you challenged me to give you Arakáno/Amrod, you must have known it would come with footnotes.)

This is a Writing fanwork

A Harmony in Autumn by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

A tale of belatedly requited love, with a dose of politics, set in the period immediately preceding the foundation of the city of Gondolin. Written in response to Slashy Santa 2007 request by Talullah Red. (Beta: the ever-generous Ignoblebard.)

Honorable Mention - MEFA 2008

This is a Writing fanwork

A Sad Tale's Best for Winter by oshun, Dawn Felagund

Warnings: No warnings apply

Prompt: B2MeM 2014 - Write a story or create art about the midwinter holiday (Yule or another midwinter holiday of your choosing).

Elrond looks back on Yuletides past at two distinct periods in his life, nearly an Age and a half apart. “The famous saudade of the Portuguese is a vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist, for something other than the present, a turning towards the past or towards the future; not an active discontent or poignant sadness but an indolent dreaming wistfulness.” (In Portugal, by AFG Bell, 1912.)

Artwork included is by Dawn Felagund. (Calligraphy and illumination of brief passages from the story. Artist's note: The calligraphy utilizes a script I developed based on Tolkien's own writing in the Tengwar of "Namárië" and "A Elbereth Gilthoniel." The illumination is based on a style used in the 15th-century Bible of Borso d'Este. Ink, acrylic, and gold leaf on Bristol vellum.)

This is a Writing fanwork

Of Wonders Wild and New by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

A story of Galadriel and Luthien in Doriath, early First Age. Written for International Day of Femslash 2014. Many thanks to Ignoble Bard for the rush Beta of this.

This is a Writing fanwork

For as Long as It Takes by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

A significant encounter between Nerdanel and Indis introduces a new chapter in their lives. Written for silmladylove’s second annual 2015 Tolkien Femslash Week on Tumblr. The romance herein is not explicit, but foreshadowed. I do have an untold story of these two women rattling around in my head that I will continue. I had hopes when I wrote my story A Kindred Heart that the astute reader would guess it could contain the seeds of something like this.

Many thanks to Elleth and also to Everyonelovesaloser for Beta reading this ficlet for me.

This is a Writing fanwork

My Heart on My Skin by oshun

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Written for the SWG January 2017 Challenge: Taboo. Fingon and Finrod provide material for the sub-part, “Religious Taboos,” with references as well to “Culture Shock,” “Table Manners,” “Found Out,” “Consequences,” “Sexual Deviance,” “Etiquette,” "Incest," and “Ethnocentrism and Prejudice.” (I might be overlooking more—this month's prompts were rich indeed. Once I choose the first prompt, the others fell into place effortlessly.)

Fingon wants a graphic symbol of his love. In this world—Tirion, Age of the Trees, my personal canon—Fingon is in a committed relationship. He is of age, although barely, and his cousin Finrod (Ingo herein) is only a few years younger. But despite youth and questionable judgment, Fingon is his own man and does not need this ploy to attract and hold the attention of his beloved.  (But Fingon never gets tired of trying ever more extreme stunts to prove his love to Maedhros.)

This story is multi-purposed also. The biggest aider and abettor of my ficcish meanderings, IgnobleBard, asked me for a Finrod and Fingon friendship fic. Here ya go, writing buddy, hope you enjoy it!

This is a Writing fanwork

A Spitting Image by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Fëanor feels sorry for himself. (Artwork with short, short story.)

B2MeM 2017 Prompt: Blue Path, Artwork, Realistic; also Tumblr Feanorian Week (Caranthir)
 

This is a Writing fanwork

I've Hungered for Your Touch by oshun

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Caranthir is offered a chance to read an unpublished diary entry. It’s a copy of a recently discovered ancient manuscript apparently written by Haleth the Hunter. It’s a follow-up to my previous story The Manly-hearted Woman, but can be read independently of that one. It is also an entry in the SWG Challenge Just an Old-Fashioned Love Song. (“...use a popular love song as a prompt to inspire a fanwork about romantic or sexual love. You will choose your own prompt from the list of love songs below.” I chose "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers: video | lyrics).

This is a Writing fanwork

Finwë’s Nose by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Celebrían goes into labor. Galadriel is there to help. (Don't worry no graphic childbirth details here.) Crack fic.

This is a Writing fanwork

Five Times Nerdanel Said 'Yes' by oshun

Warnings: Expletive Language, Sexual Content (Mild)

This was written for the SWG 5th Birthday celebration based on the Theme: Five Things, updated to include numerous B2MeM 2012 prompts. Chapter 8 added (30 March 2018).

This is a Writing fanwork

Full Brothers in Blood by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Gift story for Dawn Felagund, Christmas 2007, Fingon and Turgon as young brothers. Honorable Mention, MEFA 2008

This is a Writing fanwork

A Real Beauty by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

A double-drabble in response to the SWG Back to Middle-earth Month challenge, day 8, “contrast beauty/ugliness.”

It’s a story of young Finwean firebrands in love (Aredhel/Celegorm). I knew I would eventually get around to writing something like this. I’ve always imagined that Aredhel and Celegorm shared a youthful romance in Valinor.

This is a Writing fanwork

To My Father by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Response to prompt for Day Four: March 4 of the Silmarillion Writers Guild observance of Back to Middle-earth Month. Relating to role models, I chose to write a drabble about feelings that Maedhros might have wanted to communicate to his father.

MEFA 2009, Third Place in First Age and Prior: Drabbles

 

This is a Writing fanwork

A New Day by oshun

Warnings: Mature Themes

(New: see illustration by Robinka, added as Chapter 12.) This is a sequel to my first tale, (Maitimo and Findekáno), in my cycle of stories recounting the life-long relationship between Fingon and Maedhros. It occurs after the definitive fracture between the Houses of Feanor and Fingolfin and the flight of the Noldor to Middle-earth. Beginning immediately after Fingon’s rescue of Maedhros from the cliffs of Thangorodrim, it tells of how Fingon and Maedhros reunite and together resolve to heal the divisions among the Noldor. (Slash.)

MEFA 2008 First Place, Longer Works: General
MEFA 2007 2nd Place, Elves: Incomplete

This is a Writing fanwork

Early Winter at Himring Hill by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Written for Dawn Felagund's 2007 birthday, in response to a request for something about Fingon and Maedhros later in their life than the period I have been covering in my Maitimo and Findekáno story cycle. Fingon visits Maedhros at Himring Hill, after the Dagor Aglareb during the watchful peace of the Siege of Angband.

MEFA 2008, First Place, Romance: Elven Lands

 

This is a Writing fanwork

The Threat of Spring by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

My entry for day 14 of the SWG Back to Middle-earth Month challenge. The prompt is: What is your favourite season? . . . . how your character would appreciate (or not) the same things.

A ficlet wherein a grumpy Fingon faces spring, once his favorite season. (Fingon/Maedhros)

 

This is a Writing fanwork

A Ponderous Tome by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

A short character study of a youthful Elrond and a reflection on an aspect of his relationship with Maedhros and Maglor; in response to Day 26 of the B2MeM challenge. The prompt is: “a teacher who played a key role . . . . write a character who educated his people in some way.”

MEFA 2009,  Third Place - First Age and Prior:
Featuring Maedhros or Maglor
Tree and Flower Awards 2013, First Place
Favorite Characerization of Elrond

This is a Writing fanwork

Cross-overs Are Harder Than They Look by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

SWG 5th Birthday Theme: Perfect Matches: Whether humorous or serious, this theme is for cross-overs of all sorts. Fingon tries to write fanfiction and Maedhros tries to help him. (Cross-over of The Silmarillion with Ellen Kushner's Swordspoint, Disney classics, fairy tales, and BBC's Merlin.)

Thanks to IgnobleBard for reading the first draft (the one and only actually--you put up with a lot from me!).

This is a Writing fanwork

One Can Never Go Home Again by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

B2MeM 2011, March 16: Arnor. Write a story which begins with this line: “A gentle breeze brushed the hilltop, combing the ruins. In the Fourth Age of Arda, the re-embodied Fingon and Maedhros visit the ruins of Formenos.

This is a Writing fanwork

Young Fëanáro Makes A Stone by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

A Birthday Story for gandalfs_apprentice on the Elessar and is also a bit of take-off on the Sorcerer’s Apprentice in honor of her penname.

This is a Writing fanwork

The Beautiful Battlements of the Fortress on Himring Hill by oshun, IgnobleBard

Warnings: No warnings apply

Written at the request of Moetushie-–in the form of a comment fic on her LJ. Not much of a plot, simply Fingon and Maedhros sitting in a room at the top of Himring Hill Castle K-I-S-S-I-N-G. With a Beta read by Ignoble Bard and with some serious help from him in closing it--on the co-writing credit: he wrote the last sentence; I edited it lightly. (Without him, I probably couldn't write at all, too fraught with self doubt.)

This is a Writing fanwork

Nothing To Forgive by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

This was inspired by Jenny Dolfen’s lovely painting of Nerdanel and Maedhros called “Forgiveness.” The artist and I interpret the canon slightly differently. I call mine “Nothing To Forgive.”

This is a Writing fanwork

Yávië in Formenos by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

When he encounters a new harvest worker, a farmer in Formenos is reminded of the great march under starlight across the east of Middle-earth to the shores of the Great Sea. MPTT Harvest Challenge, October 2012; Prompts: waggon, help, young. Beta: Ignoblebard.

This is a Writing fanwork

To Whom All Birds Are Dear by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

I got distracted by myself and my obsessing over a picture and forgot the prompt that I was writing. Tarion Anarore asked for "Hmm... The one with Fingon at the onset of the Dagor Bragollach." And instead she got Fingon and a bird!

Thanks, Ignoble Bard, for the Beta and entertainment along with the nitpicking. Your generosity is never taken for granted.

This is a Writing fanwork

If You Go into the Woods Today by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Coming-of-age ficlet about sexual experimentation, but more fundamentally about acceptance and friendship. A Finwean cousins' camping trip. Many thanks to Ignoble Bard for the quick Beta.

For the Legendarium Ladies April challenge on Tumblr.

This is a Writing fanwork

Joy as Sharp as a Sword by oshun

Warnings: Sexual Content (Moderate)

Fingon and Maedhros travel to visit Finrod in Nargothrond with a weighty purpose. Finished! It might be one of the more self-indulgent stories I have written, but I hope entertaining. [And the usual thanks to Ignoble Bard for reading and concrit.]

This is a Writing fanwork

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner by oshun

Warnings: Sexual Content (Mild)

It’s a Years of the Trees’ story of Finrod and Amarië as young lovers, long before the rebellion of the Noldor separates them.

This is a Writing fanwork

We Weren’t Born to Follow by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

In response to the SWG Challenge "Revolution." Prompt: Bon Jovi, “We Weren’t Born To Follow”? video | lyrics

The Noldor were always a contentious people. Finwë and Míriel before they leave on the great Trek across the mountains to the sea.

 

This is a Writing fanwork

First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

For the April-May A Woman's Sceptre Challenge. Prompt:

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou

Fëanáro remembers Nerdanel. A story of redemption. If you do not like Fëanor, you will probably not want to read it.

 

 

This is a Writing fanwork

False Spring by oshun

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

The story of the Union of Maedhros, the great alliance of Elves, Men and Dwarves organized by Fingon and Maedhros, is the prelude to the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. It is the return of hope for my protagonists and yet the beginning of the end of the struggle of those rash and heroic Noldor whose deeds made me fall in love with The Silmarillion.

This is a Writing fanwork

No Sign of Weakness by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Sparring Finwean cousins.

May-June Challenge Entry - Competition/Prompt: Lucie Jones: Never Give Up On You lyrics – 2017 Eurovision Song Contest

This is a Writing fanwork

Like Mother, Like Son by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Day 18 of the Back to Middle-earth Month challenge. Prompt: “your character is in bed and he or she awakes to a future leader, heir, or current leader standing outside the window, staring into your character's face with a giant smile.”

Summary: Fëanor is in the dog house, but his heir does not mind. A double drabble (200 words as counted by MS Word).

 

This is a Writing fanwork

Denial by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

This is a birthday gift for Kenaz. A ficlet involving Maglor and Maedhros, which is set in the Time of the Trees in Formenos, at the home of Fëanor and his wife and sons. It is set in the same universe as my story Maitimo and Findekáno and occurs a couple of years earlier. I hope it is obvious from the ficlet that Maedhros and Maglor are very young adults and Fingon is the equivalent of a teenager. (There is a reference to slash in this piece but no sexual content.)

MEFA 2008 Second Place: Elves - House of Finwë

This is a Writing fanwork

Do You Believe in Ghosts? by oshun

Warnings: Expletive Language

Happy 2008 Halloween Birthday to IgnobleBard, dear friend, generous and stalwart Beta, who loves scary stories. Credit goes to DarthFingon for the prompt from a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon of the same name. Warnings: language you might expect from a house filled with testosterone-challenged males; references to sexual intimacy, both het and slash, but no explicit content.

MEFA 2009, First Place - Humor: Children

This is a Writing fanwork

Uinen’s Revenge by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Back to Middle-earth Month Challenge, Day 21 – The Prompt: Describe a big storm . . . place it in Tolkien's world. A fixed-length ficlet of 125 words (counted by MS Word). “But Uinen wept for the mariners of the Teleri; and the sea rose in wrath against the slayers, so that many of the ships were wrecked and those in them drowned.” (The Silmarillion, “The Flight of the Noldor.”)

 

This is a Writing fanwork

About Losgar Again by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Losgar Challenge, For March 2: Defiance is defined as the willingness to contend or fight. Write a story or poem or create artwork where the characters defy authority in some way.

Summary: Maedhros defied his father. Maglor did not.

This is a Writing fanwork

My Greatest Fear by oshun

Warnings: Mature Themes

A ficlet in which Fingon visits Maedhros at Himring Hill and they confess their greatest fears to one another. (Fingon/Maedhros: soft R, at the highest.)

My entry for day 13 of the SWG Back to Middle-earth Month challenge. The prompt: Write a story where the characters have to confront their greatest fears.

 

This is a Writing fanwork

Unrepentant Lovers by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Very short, less than 500 words, in which Fingon and Maedhros discuss regrets or lack thereof on the night before they last separate to prepare their own hosts and allies for the Battle of Unnumbered Tears. 2010 Middle-earth Fanfiction Awards Nominee

This is a Writing fanwork

The Beginning by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Extended drabble on the theme of Elrond and Gil-galad
as requested by Claudio for his 2007 birthday.
(Non-graphic slash. Just a kiss.)

**MEFA 2007 Nominee**

This is a Writing fanwork

Fearless and Full of Himself by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Elrond doesn't fear the future; Maedhros doesn't fear the past. For B2Me challenge 2011, day 4, Mithrim. Prompt is: Write a story or poem or create artwork where the character conquers his or her fears.

This is a Writing fanwork

Look Homeward Angel by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Day 30: Grey Havens -- Write a story or poem, or create a piece of art on the theme of leaving or returning home. A moment of domesticity with Elros, Elrond, Maglor and Maedhros.

This is a Writing fanwork

Elves in Manhattan by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

A fanfic writer meets two of her favorite Silmarillion characters.

This is a Writing fanwork

Of Night and Light and The Half-light by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

This is a place for short contributions or graphics (mostly but not all from Back-to-Middle-earth Month 2012). The title is from "He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven" by William Butler Yeats. Some are serious and some are silly.

Added "Death of Arvedui" graphic.

This is a Writing fanwork

Before Strife Was Born by oshun

Warnings: Incest

Not your typical romance, this is a story about two people who know one another all too well and understand one another not at all and share an almost love/hate relationship replete with passionate conflict and caring. It’s a Years of the Trees story of Fëanor and Fingolfin as very young men, written for Encairion, Ardor in August 2012, to satisfy this particular prompt:

“Pairing: Fëanor/Fingolfin. I prefer dark, angsty stories, but can appreciate humor on the side. Whether you give me a pre-darkening of Valinor or a re-born life in Valinor or something from the First Age, it doesn't matter, but I love seeing elves with flaws, so please no utopian, unrealistic worlds."

I want to extend the warmest thanks to my super skillful and perceptive Betas Ignoblebard and Lilith Lessfair who so generously combed through it at least a couple of times each.

This is a Writing fanwork

While These Visions Did Appear by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

These are my responses in graphic format to B2MeM 2013 prompts.

If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber'd here
While these visions did appear.
--
Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

This is a Writing fanwork

Master Swordsmith by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Fëanáro wants to make swords.

This is a Writing fanwork

Summer's End by oshun

Warnings: Mature Themes

New Chapter: The Wild Hunt (Chapter 9)

For the Noldor, the personal is always political. This story has humor, conflict, scandal, and a crazy mixture of discord and affection, which characterize the Finweans as I write them. This story is set shortly before the founding of Nevrast, before the Mereth Aderthad.

 

This is a Writing fanwork

Getting to Know Him by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Request from Winterwitch: “ . . . something about Maedhros and Elrond would be lovely, perhaps of the time when one of the two discovers his respect, admiration, or even fondness of the other. Or Maglor and Elrond in the same situation.”

This is young Elrond's POV in the first hours after Maedhros and Maglor take him and his brother with them from the Havens of Sirion.

This is a Writing fanwork

Like a Moth to a Flame by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

This is a coming-of-age romance featuring Finrod and Caranthir. It contains two boys, Finwëan family dynamics, and cultural differences. It is a character-centered story, including a cross-country trip, a village fair with local color, and a tarot card reading. These two young men explore a mysterious and powerful gift that they share. Written for the Tarot challenge as part the Library of Moria celebration of the International Day of Slash 2015, the story is months late now—but better late than never. Thank you, Ignoble Bard, for being so patient of a Beta for me and reading this so many times.

This is a Writing fanwork

Noldolantë – Maglor’s Lament by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

This is an micro-essay and a banner created as an extended introduction to a fic-rec list pulled together to celebrate Maglor’s Day on the Fëanorian Week celebration on Tumblr and initially inspired by the SWG Strength and Beauty March 2017 challenge.

This is a Writing fanwork

Companions on a Quest by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Basically a story of Fëanor and Nerdanel meeting and beginning to fall for one another. But, secondarily, a story of Mahtan's household and his relationship with his apprentices, featuring his wife also.

Hero’s Journey Challenge – May-June 2017 – submitting this one to meet the deadline, although I would very much like to expand and continue the story. It should have been much longer, but I met all of the required prompts. I've enjoyed working in this world I have begun to build. I love the characters and the backstory I created, seventy percent of which I am not able to use in this short story--due to lack of time and organizational skills(!! we won't talk about chronic writers' block). I hope readers can enjoy it as a stand-alone, but I definitely will return! I am (maddeningly perhaps) leaving my full cast at the end of the story as a teaser.

Many thanks to IgnobleBard for his careful Beta and putting up with a formidable amount of b.s. and dysfunctionality!

This is a Writing fanwork

Bright Star - An Exile into Paradise by oshun

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Elros is preparing to leave behind the land of his birth, everyone and everything he has known, to become one of the founding settlers and the first king of Númenór. Elrond is not ready to let him go.

This is a Writing fanwork

Summer Storm by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Written for the 2019 Pride challenge,

My prompt: The people I respect most behave as if they were immortal and as if society was eternal.” ~ E.M. Forster

Not gonna explain how this ficlet fits the prompt. But it does. You have to trust me.

This is a Writing fanwork

Findekáno the Valiant by oshun

Warnings: Expletive Language

Response to Claudio/Darth Fingon's challenge to write how Fingon got the label of "the Valiant." Warnings: crack fic, language (somewhat crude), and could be read as foreshadowing slash (years down the road).

This is a Writing fanwork

That's Not Funny! by oshun

Warnings: Mature Themes

In their youth in Valinor, Maedhros has a secret crush on Fingon, his younger half-cousin, and Maglor loves to tease him about it.

A ficlet of 550 words in response to the SWG Back to Middle-earth Month challenge, day 11, humor misunderstood. (R-rated for language and implication only.) Also, translation of Quenya names at the bottom for those who want them.

This is a Writing fanwork

Ulmo’s Palace by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Written for the prompts: Curufin and Ulmo's Palace; for the Probably AU Genfic Swap at Elffetish. One of those cute 'lil elfing stories which contains dark undertones and/or is blasphemous to the Valar.

This is a Writing fanwork

I Hate You by oshun

Warnings: Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Moderate), Violence (Mild)

Day 24 – B2MeM 2009, prompt: “Choose your favorite line or quotation from a non-Tolkien source.” This is a story referenced more than once but never developed in my short novel A New Day. Inspired by Dawn Felagund’s ficlet “Hatred,” it is an account of a low point in the relationship of Maedhros and Fingon before they left Valinor.

2009 MEFA - Second Place - Drama: House of Finwë 

This is a Writing fanwork

Mereth Aderthad by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Newest Chapter: 8 - "Promises and Negotiations." This is the story of the events of the Feast of Reuniting. A continuation of my interpretation of the tales of the Noldor in the First Age, focusing principally, but not solely upon Fingon and Maedhros. (See Maitimo and Findekáno and A New Day, which precede this one in the story cycle.) I'd like to thank the writers of the Lizard Council, including IgnobleBard, Elfscribe, Erulisse, Russandol, Hallbera, Lilithlessfair, Surgical Steel, and particularly Pandemonium. Also, want to thank Spiced Wine for her ongoing support of this story.

MEFA 2009,  First Place - Elves: Incomplete

This is a Writing fanwork

Letter to Fingon by oshun

Warnings: Expletive Language, Mature Themes

 

SWG Back to Middle-earth Month prompt: A stereotype is a generalization, usually exaggerated or oversimplified . . . . Write a story… where characters break stereotypes. Summary: Maedhros writes a letter to Fingon questioning his strategy behind his attack on the dragon Glaurung. (I hope that the format is legible. I would have written it in Quenya (yeah, right!) and used Tengwar, but then no one would have been able to read it.) Thank you, IgnobleBard, for Beta reading this ficlet.

This is a Writing fanwork

Your Sins into Me by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Shortly after the arrival of the main body of the Noldor in Middle-earth, Fingon the Valiant sets off alone to rescue his cousin and old friend Maedhros who has been captured by Melkor.

Nominated for the 2011 Middle-earth Fanfiction Awards.

This is a Writing fanwork

It Gives A Lovely Light (Drabble/Ficlet Collection) by oshun

Warnings: Mature Themes

Latest addition: "The Boy My Daughter Married," (featuring Curufin’s mother-in-law, Curufin/OFC, and a blink-and-you-will-miss-it reference to Celebrimbor). 

Chapters are added within chronological order of the events.

A series of drabbles/ficlets: seeds of stories based upon characters and events from the Silmarillion. The title of the collection is taken from a line in a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay, because it reminded me of the exiled Noldor, particularly, although not exclusively, the sons of Feanor:

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--
It gives a lovely light!

 

This is a Writing fanwork

Name Five Characters Who Would Love To Attend A Family Reunion by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

This stated out as a Fannish Friday Five on Live Journal and then I decided to share, as it actually could fit the SWG 5th Birthday "Five Things" challenge.

This is a Writing fanwork

Sacrifice by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Himring: Write a story where characters make sacrifices in order to achieve their goals; March 11 B2MeM 2011. (Thank you to my dearest IgnobleBard for Beta reading.)

This is a Writing fanwork

The Flower Market by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Maedhros as a callow youth during the years of the Noontide of Valinor, with a girl! Yes! That kind of thing really happened to him. Read Dawn Felagund’s Another Man’s Cage. Also my humble thanks to Christina Rossetti for writing “Goblin Market,” from which I stole my inspiration and a couple of words.

This is a Writing fanwork

Renacimiento by oshun

Warnings: Sexual Content (Moderate)

Elrond is a charming flirt with a massive crush who is saving himself for a special first time. I never pictured myself writing this one, but felt perversely attracted to it when I read the prompt. The recipient gave me a softer way out, the choice to go with another less controversial pairing. But after consideration, I fell for this one.

The title, Renacimiento is Spanish. I liked the sound of it and had just watched a Spanish TV show about the Renaissance when I needed a name. (Yes, it also means Renassiance).  What is wrong with English or even Quenya? I liked all of the multiple meanings my dictionary gave me for the Spanish word: rebirth, revival, renewal, etc. My hero and POV character Maedhros gets a little of all of that from the intrepid young Elrond. Like to think the encounter enriched Elrond's life as well.

Thanks to Ignoble Bard for the Beta. He has been with me all the way through this one from the first rough lines to the last touch up. Thank you also to Lilithlessfair, Pandemonium, and Russandol, who painstakingly went over this and offered their suggestions. I am not always fun to Beta, but I do appreciate how lucky I am to have such wonderful writers and friends willing to give me a hand.

This is a Writing fanwork

The Critic by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

In the bliss of Valinor in the Years of the Trees, Maglor plays a new song for Aredhel and Celegorm. It is mainly about the suffering of the artist unappreciated by the Philistines closest to him. Oh, yes, I like these two cousins together also. Tolkien hooked me when he said of Aredhel, “There she was often in the company of the sons of Fëanor, her kin; but to none was her heart's love given.” Ah, I see. But it could have been. Then he sends her later on to leave Gondolin, set upon visiting Celegorm. Obviously, they were wildly infatuated with one another in their youth. The story is still Gen Fic at its heart.

This is a Writing fanwork

How Careless by oshun

Warnings: Mature Themes

Summary: In observance of the International Day of Femslash (July 19, 2008): Galadriel/Aredhel, a true drabble. According to my research there is one year between the births of these two women, with Galadriel being the younger. Why femslash these two? Why not? They both seem adventurous, rebellious even, and I would imagine quite close in their youths.

This is a Writing fanwork

A Kindred Heart by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Indis meets Nerdanel and responds to her. References to: Noldorin society in Valinor during the Years of the Trees, sons, husbands, art, family dynamics and dysfunctionality, even a brief mention (non-graphic) of childbirth/labor. Started a while ago, but finished at this time in response to the  legendarium ladies april event on Tumblr.

This is a Writing fanwork

The Blue Boar Inn by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Crossover! (English history and The Silmarillion) Written for an LJ comment fic challenge for this request from Just_Jenni: "Place the sons of Feanor into a Richard the Third setting in actual history. Any time, any place, but the sons MUST be in character and they MUST have some sort of interaction with Richard."

Richard III and Francis Lovell spend an evening in Leicester at the Blue Boar Inn shortly before the Battle of Bosworth with Silmarillion heroes Maedhros and Maglor. (Intended to work for anyone who knows either of the canons.)

This is a Writing fanwork

What If? by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

I wondered recently if I ever thought of writing a Fingon/Maedhros piece where they made different choices. This was as close as I could get. So, the answer is, I guess I do not have it in me to change their fate. Canon heretic that I am, however, I’ve already changed it plenty to suit my taste—happily ever after in Valinor together after the suffering and unhappy deaths given them in The Silmarillion and their requisite rehab in the Halls of Mandos. It’s the only way I can sleep at night.

This is a gift for Himring, who makes them suffer more than I do.

This is a Writing fanwork

The Line of Elros by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

This collection will include ficlets and other short pieces which deal with Elros and his descendants.

. . . but Elros his brother chose to abide with Men. And from these brethren alone has come among Men the blood of the Firstborn and a strain of the spirits divine that were before Arda; for they were the sons of Elwing, Dior’s daughter, Lúthien’s son, child of Thingol and Melian; and Eärendil their father was the son of Idril Celebrindal, Turgon’s daughter of Gondolin. –The Silmarillion.

For bunn.

The first chapter was written in response to a request by Bunn for an Elros drabble.

This is a Writing fanwork

Strength Bestows Beauty by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

"Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony,
but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful,
strength has much to do with the magic."  ~Herman Melville, Moby Dick

SWG March 2017 Strength and Beauty Challenge
B2MeM 2017 (blue path/artwork/secondary colors/Tolkien quote)
Fëanorian Week Tumblr 2017 -
Day 1- Maedhros - > Adjusting/Coping, Beauty


This is a Writing fanwork

The Manly-hearted Woman by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

This is a story of Haleth. The challenge it meets requires that one write a story based upon one of the SWG bios about a character one has never written before. I owe many writers for my inspiration, but mainly those who have written Caranthir/Haleth stories I have read and enjoyed over the long years I have been reading Silmarillion fanfiction. I did write the original SWG bio of Haleth, but I wrote it so many years ago that I thought someone else might have written it, until I opened it to consult it for source material (it’s definitely one of mine). This is a story complete in itself, but I do reserve the right to add an epilogue.

And once again, I must thank IgnobleBard for his Beta read at the last minute!

This is a Writing fanwork

The Death of Finwë by oshun

Warnings: No warnings apply

Fëanor, summoned out of banishment by the Valar, arrives at the home of Eärwen and Finarfin the day before Manwë’s long to be remembered high feast on Taniquetil. No one knows what to expect from the Valar, but they certainly least of all expected the darkening of Valinor and the death of Finwë. (Written from Eärwen’s point of view.)