And Then There Was Cake, or Begetting Day Horrors by Klose

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Funniest Feanorians

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A little ficlet in which Maedhros muses on the frivolous affair that is the Begetting Day Celebration. (Warnings for potentially offensive language and bawdy humour, or attempts thereof!)

This was written for Oshun's 2007 birthday, and was originally posted to the SWG LiveJournal community.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Angrod, Aredhel, Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Fëanor, Fingolfin, Fingon, Galadriel, Maglor, Turgon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Humor

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Expletive Language

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 997
Posted on 8 December 2007 Updated on 8 December 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Haven't read this for a while and it holds up with the passage of time. Very funny account of a large dysfunctional family overpopulated by males (and the accompanying testerone overdose). Love the vision of that bad girl Aredhel and her cronies Crufin and Celegorm.The phallic symbol on the cake, placed there by none other than Turgon is hilarious as is the wide-smile from Fingon. who would be considered a dear friend under better circumstances, preceding yet one more indignity to be endured. As you know, I am confirmed by this in my opinion that the Finweans got the lion's share of vivid, irrepressible personalities in the Silmarillion. Hey thanks again--it was a great birthday fic.

Terribly late response, but thanks for reviewing again, Oshun! This was a slightly rushed piece, but I do admit I like reading it on occasion just to get a few chuckles. :P I'm really glad the humour wasn't too far out or flat and of course really happy that you enjoyed it! There needs to be more stories about the Finweans as crazy, dysfunctional and hilariously loveable, IMO. There's just so much to work with.

 

BTW - Celegorm and Curufin as Aredhel's "cronies" - love that description! Rather oddly, it makes me want to get up and read all the chapters of A New Day that I've missed out on these past few months. :)

Thanks so much, Binka! You're making me wish for a gloomy afternoon that I'm free to spend reading fanfiction with - but this was a great and wonderful surprise to get in my inbox midst my studying for exams lately. I'm so glad it made you laugh, and thank you very much for taking the time to review! :D

This is truly a great vinyette! I was chuckling throughout trying to envision these elves celebrating like Hobbits. lol I'm not one of those purists who think elves are all serious and noble so I enjoy anything that shows their less than perfect side. And who better to portray a drunken birthday party than the original dysfunctional family - the Feanorians. :) Loved it! Five stars!

Bwahaha! I love the tone the whole way through. And the image of such "embarrassing relatives" in a high Elven family. I literally sporfled out loud (several times) as I was reading. :D

Maitimo Nelyafinwë, also known as Russandol to his family and You Bloody Bastard! to the fathers of various young females all across Tirion

*giggles* I am having fun imagining reading a new entry in the Silmarillion index now:

Maedhros: Eldest son of Feanor, also called You Bloody Bastard!; has younger brothers who smell totally nasty and several dirty-minded cousins; celebrated a begetting day in the Blessed Realm where his mother's cake was served, and afterwards was never able to eat cake again without escaping comments about his... anatomy.

;) 

I'm not sure whether to say I'd be glad not to go to a Feanorean begetting day party, or if I'd go just for the laughs, now. ;)

Thanks so much - I'm so happy that my rendition of embarassing family functions wasn't too wacky! And I'm so glad it makes other people laugh, too (I admit, Ambarussa shoving the punch bowl off the table makes me giggle - just that mental image of their mischief midst all thet chaos!)

Someone (you? :D) needs to write that revised index, stat! "afterwards was never able to eat cake again without escaping comments about his... anatomy." - DEAD. That just killed me DEAD. :D!

Once again, thank you for the review! *yay* 

Here is a copy of the MEFA review I did for this story =)

 

This is a cute little fiction about Maedhros' Begetting Day Celebration. Considering the Feanorian family, you can only imagine how this disfunctional group could have an eventful and hilarious celebration or event. This is the type of people that you would want to go and be a part of their celebration however you probably would not want to be related to them. And I'm sure that alot of people can relate to that. *ahem* I loved the way Klose had little tidbits that made you laugh outloud such as saying Maedhros was referred to as 'You bloody bastard' by the fathers of the local ladies! haha Overall this is a great story and makes you realize that despite all the kinslaying and whatnot they weren't always all bad, just similar to a family off the Jerry Springer show. After all they were the first family to put the Fun in Dysfunctional!


 

Alassante, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for the MEFAs (a new one, at that!). You've really hit on all the point about why I'm rather fond of this little story, and I love that other people have enjoyed my portrayal of crazy family times. Also, I've lately been wondering if that 'you bloody bastard' line was the best I could've used, so I'm glad it worked for you. :D! *glomps*

I've read this before and have just read it again and I enjoyed it both times. But before I start I must tell you that I am quite partial to the Feanorians, especially for Maitimo. 

I thought that the "you bloody bastard" line was most promising the first time I read it and I wasn't disappointed. I also like the unique POV and the banter and interaction between the Feanorions--the pile-up was priceless!  I have so many favorite lines but the topmost is:  "If ever there was an elf of greater vanity than yourself, it would be Tyelkormo. Even if it was you who inherited the superior good looks of the family." The best take-away "image" is the one where Feanor is singing the Begetting Day song the loudest. 

Thanks for sharing this!

Wow, I can't tell you how awesome it is that you found this story enjoyable in your re-read - and thank you for an equally awesome review. :) I admit, I do giggle a lot when I read this piece, but I wonder how many of my favourite lines are enjoyed by other people as well... you've mentioned some of them here (Feanor singing the Begetting Day song the loudest, for example!), and that makes me bouncy and happy.

Once again, thank you for reading and reviewing! :D