Full Brothers in Blood by oshun

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written to satisfy the following prompt: "Fingon and Turgon, younger, in Valinor. You hint about their relationship--or lack thereof--a lot, and I find myself thinking on this a lot when reading your stories. So I'd like to see a scene between them. It doesn't have to be serious or even revealing; just a hint of what there was between two brothers in Aman."

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Gift story for Dawn Felagund, Christmas 2007, Fingon and Turgon as young brothers. Honorable Mention, MEFA 2008

Major Characters: Anairë, Celegorm, Fingolfin, Fingon, Finwë, Indis, Maedhros, Turgon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General, Humor

Challenges: Ankle Biters, Gift of a Story, Sibling Rivalry

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 196
Posted on 25 December 2007 Updated on 25 December 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oshun, I loved it. I laughed out loud at places, and your characters--albeit slightly younger than they appear in "New Day"--were consistent with what you've done so far and like spending a half-hour with old friends.

I am so glad that I asked for this particular story. I love your interpretation of the brothers, and it makes perfect sense. It's always seemed to me that Turukano was the oddball of the cousins: In canon, Findekano was close with Nelyo we know (and perhaps the other Feanarions as well?), as was Irisse; even Findarato had more of that "democratic temperament," as you so wonderfully put it. Turukano sticks out as one with few known friendships (aside from Findarato), who holds a grudge like a champ and prefers isolationism to unity. In a way, ironically, his temperament is very close to that of Feanaro, including his genius for and obsession with lovely things. Interesting, that ... I'd never thought of it before. Your story now has my mind whirling with ideas and new connections. Very awesome ... though I foresee a long day ahead for Bobby, full of Silm-related ramblings. ;)

Many, many thanks again for this story. I will cherish it and reread it often. *hugs*

Thanks, Dawn. I am so glad it resonated with you and particularly happy if it sent your mind off in other directions (like the comparison of Turgon's creative genius to that of Feanor-gave me a chuckle, because he would probably bristle at the comparison, however, flattering it might seem to the rest of us).  Be fascinated to hear more about this train of thought.

I was really torn in trying to make the differentiation between the two brothers, because there is more than a little of my childhood/adolescence in both of them. I was a bit of a quiet, nerdy, isolated young child (like Turgon, although I was certainly never neat, meticulous or punctual), who became quite social in my early adolescence (more like Fingon does in this story), and even more of a rebel and outgoing in my later adolescence/early adulthood. A couple of people who read a draft of this saw a lot of my child-raising techniques in Anairë as well. (We do write what we know.)

Taking off from the significant bit of your personal canon which I borrow for the backstory (that Fingon became close in childhood to Fëanor's immediate family), it seemed to me that during the period of when Maedhros is engaged with his entry into adulthood and professional responsibility and Fingon still a youth, that Fingon would have naturally sought our Celegorm for company among his cousins. During that same period Turgon would have begun to notice the complicated relationship/resentment of his own father for Fëanor and his family and accepted it as natural and right, while Fingon had long since questioned it. On Finrod: I wished I could have worked him in more here. He will, of course, keep recurring in my cycle, especially in relationship to Turgon. The fact that it is canon that Turgon and Finrod were close is one the elements that is a saving grace for Turgon in my mind. Poor Turgon, he can't be a total jerk if Finrod cared for him--fighting my prejudices here. (Still haven't figured out how to justify the moniker "Turgon the wise"?!)

I was nearly done with this when I read your story about Carnistir and his spying, I really was struck that I had a whole "spying" segment in this story.

I think in later years, the differences in personality between Turgon and Fingon will cause some of their early resentment to calcify, but that the underlying love will remain, if no agreement with of either one for the other's choices.

On a technical side, I finally had to sit down and draw up a chart of the birth and death dates of all of the Finweans. It was particularly frustrating that there are so few specific birth dates given. I guess I am grateful that we at least have birth order.

A few years ago, when asked for what birthday stories I wanted, I believe I asked for anything involving Turgon and Fingon - think I may have asked the same of you as well, this year. I don't think I can get enough of these boys. 

Not entirely sure if this was your intention, but Turgon is the one I sympathise and feel for the most here - maybe it's just the fact that I'm a younger sibling who remembers well the neglect of the older. In any case, I think it says much of your ability to portray real, believable relationships in your writing.

I'm probably a terrible reader, because all I want to say is that I just really *enjoyed* this story. It's witty, sweet, insightful - and so satisfying. A little sad, as well, when you think about the awkwardness of the relationship & communication F. & T. share, but I'm not not thinking about it. I'm just busy basking in the vividness of your narration, and how you've so expertly given us a little peek into the lives of Turgon and his family in Tirion. Simply lovely! 

I think Turgon became sympathetic to me in the course of writing the story. He is a lot like me as a little kid. I had an older brother who I idolized as well, and never paid me enough attention, and was I was a little nerd too. I reserve judgment on the kids, they merely reflect the influences of their environments and personalities (even if I did invent a lot of that! LOL).

Thanks so much for reading. I particularly appreciate your comments, because I know you love Fingolfin and his immediate family. They certainly are rich in possibilities for a writer.

Thanks for sufferng along with our other friends at G of I through the daily bits and pieces. I'm so glad like you like Turgon. He made me like him myself; he turned out to be such an adorable little nerd.

"Fingon-Findarato. Might want to change it." Oops! Thank you so much. I'm blushing with embarrassment. I am a terrible proofreader.

Dawn Felagund twisted my arm to write this one. I kept making vague references in my other stories that Turgon and Fingon had a lot of differences and she wanted some clarification. The truth was it was always easier for me to identify with Fingon. This story went a long way toward forcing me to try to understand ways in which they were simply very different and realize that Turgon had his side of the story as well. Also, what a crazy family! Ended up loving nerdy little Turgon before I was done.

You do know siblings and families.  I could feel the heat of the day, and the scene of the older boys shutting out the younger was SO familiar.  I was the youngest of four, and less outgoing, so I can definitely relate to Turukano.  Especially the never quite understanding what goes on in family conversations!  That was always maddening. 

INteresting.  Turgon is often overlooked or made all stuffy and boring but you have to wonder with someone who had Fingolfin for a father and Fingon for a brother...there must have been more to it! 

I know I'm missing a lot of your points because you know so much more about these families than I do but I really did love this look inside.  I said before than my middle brother was a dare devil like Fingon and I remember being in both awe of him, and adoration, as well as fear.  He would do things that just about killed me to watch and that probably made *me* a bit more cautious than I might have been otherwise.  Maybe that's what happened with Turukano?  It's never easy to live in the shadow of a family like this one!

Great story!

Thank you so much! I have a real soft spot for this story. I have a tendency not to like poor Turgon all that much, but Dawn challenged me to tell her what I saw as the elements of estrangement and affection between Turgon and Fingon that I hint at in my work. This was the result. I became rather fond of him in writing it. I could pick it apart, but I will stop with just a thank you! I am so glad you enjoyed it.

I'm not much interested in Turgon, but I enjoyed this. You did a very good job with young Turgon; you can tell he's going to be difficult when the lid comes off (to borrow an expression from Charles Schulz), but he's likeable and even sympathetic. I did feel sorry for him when everybody laughed at him. I think it must be hard to write children well, because I have so often read/watched quality stuff that did it badly, so I have to say bravo to you for doing it so well.

I enjoyed Tyelkormo in this, especially when he thwarted Turgon's spite by being happy that Maedhros was coming. I liked Maedhros, too, and the way he set about winning over a sulky child. Is that the sign of a warm heart, a born politician, or both?

The glimpse of Fingolfin's relationship with Feanor, through Turgon's eyes, was fascinating. It's sad that he carries over his trouble with Feanor to Feanor's sons, though maybe not so different from what Feanor did to him and Indis. I thought I caught a hint of jealousy, too.

Again, I'm impressed by how you bring these characters to life and create such complex, believable relationships between them. I enjoyed this look at Fingon, Turgon, and their surrounding family - thank you.

Thanks you so much for reading and commenting on this story! A lot of readers do not comment on older stories, thinking somehow that the writer not longer wants to hear what they thought of it. (As though that would ever be true! Writers write to be read!)

Anyway, thank you so much again. At the time I wrote it, I had never thought very much about Turgon and what I thought about him was not good! That he hid in his secret city and let his brother and his cousins fight his battles for him--since they were what keep Morgoth and his hordes from overruning the rest of Middle-earth long earlier. I was never drawn to see Turgon as a good guy. But Dawn requested and I compiled. I almost never write a story about a character, no matter how little their deeds or the reflection of their values or personality appeals to me initially, when I do not come away with a certain amount of sympathy and the need to acknowledge that no one is without a mixture of good and bad.

I love to write kids. I am not a big fan of spending hours and hours fawning over children, unless they belong to me or people I am close to! And then I bond hard and permanently. But I was raised in a family of seven children and I know kids! I also vividly remember being one and what it felt like. So I am very happy you liked my interpretation of the big and little kids in this story. Maedhros knows kids too--he'd have to! So he can read little Turgon and his insecurities like a book.