Love Poem by oshun

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In the interests of being a good member of a community that has chosen to observe National Poetry Month and the risk of great personal embarrassment, I present my humble effort in two blessedly short verses. So, before I lose my courage, I offer my view, tin-ear and all, on what I see as the greatest almost-canon love story of The Silmarillion. (Implied slash.)

Major Characters: Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Poetry, Romance

Challenges: Duel of Songs, One True Love, Promises Made/Promises Broken

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 41
Posted on 22 April 2008 Updated on 22 April 2008

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Woohoo! Thank you. I always think a poem is a bit like a joke: if you have to explain it, it's not any good. I was hoping someone would notice there was some form and content there. (OK. Now if I just could have worked in a little imagery, I would have been better pleased. But, hey, it's been 20 years since I tried to write a poem.)

These are elegant and have a direct almost Spartan quality as fitting a pair of warrior-scholar-princes.  They are exactly the kind of vows I would expect Findekáno and Maitimo to speak to one another. Both sets of verses are great, but I really, really liked Findekáno's words!

Nope, no cause for personal embarrassment here. 

What do you mean - "almost canon?"  In my book, your M & F embody canon. ;^) 

 

Thanks you so much. I am utterly delighted with your characterization of "a pair of warrior-scholar-princes." (Oh, you know me and these characters so well!) I've been wondering for a while about Findekáno and why he is always so much clearer since I started writing this series because I was so in love with the idea of Fëanor’s eldest son. And it finally just hit me writing my epilogue (I am slow) and it is because Maitimo is wounded and Findekáno is whole.

I am looking forward to seeing you post your own recent effort at poetry. It is so much more ambitious than mine and has a larger theme.