Silver Blossoms Blown by IgnobleBard

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the tripledogdare LJ community First Impressions challenge.

Beta: Oshun

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Varda gets her first look at the Elves

Major Characters: Varda

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 370
Posted on 7 May 2008 Updated on 7 May 2008

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I'll take 'Well done', Moreth. Definitely! I was interested in the part of the Sil where it said that even though the Valar had seen what was to come when they were actually faced with it, it was like a new unforseen thing to them. I tried to imagine what it might be like from Varda's pov. I'm glad you liked this one. Thanks so much for commenting.

Another "well done" from me, Mike! 

I'm struck by Varda's sense of the familiar ("their strength a reflection of that of my kinsmen") and then we see the alien nature of the Valar - "forms confined to one aspect" and Varda hoping that her form will put them at ease.  With those words, you convey a great sense of The Other when considering the Valar.

Those last two sentences capture Varda's grief oh, so well.  One can see how much she cares for the Elder Children of Iluvatar, but can she - The Other - truly understand them?

 

 

Thanks, Pandemonium! The Valar could envision the Elves but they could not know them, even after calling them to Valinor. I like to think this desire to know them and seek to understand them is what caused the Valar to want the Elves near them, and not just for selfish purposes. Then I talk to Oshun and change my mind again. lol Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed this little piece.

Beautifully wirtten. Lovely language. I completely agree this is how Varda could veiw the elves. However, if you wanna argue about the Valar, I'm up for it! However, I don't expect they see themselves as interfering and condescending! Nor would I see them as ever being intentionally ill-willed, just think there is another side of the story! (Did I mention how I love it when you write a Silm fic?)

I wanted to leave a different note/review than I just wrote for the MEFA's, but I just read this piece twice over to take this beautiful piece in oh so slowly on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I am glad that I was able to review it on time for the MEFA's, but truly... what genre can you not write! Every time I am amazed by your skill and talents, and thanks so much for sharing this wonderful piece with us at the SWG. In a way this story woke up my muse regarding a novel set prior to the arrival of the elves (my current Nano-novel) and I really like your take on Varda, it kind of reminds me how I initially loved this Valie, but I think Vána has some dire competition now thanks to this piece. Adding this one to my fav's, oh yes!