Past Deeds by Marta

Fanwork Information

Summary:

During the attack on Sirion, Maglor is reminded of past deeds. (300 words)

Major Characters: Maglor, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Mature Themes, Violence (Graphic)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 312
Posted on 25 July 2008 Updated on 25 July 2008

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Beta'd by agape4gondor; written as a gift fic for Rhyselle.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


So exicted to see that you are posting here and taking on some Silmarillion themes as well.  You argue your case well, for the level of grief and horror that Maglor would experience when viewing such a scene and remembering what he had already done and realizing what he could be called upon to do in the future. Vividly written. One part was a bit different from the way that I imagine it (to think that anyone could consider the Simarili pretty baubles, much less a son of Feanor--I guess I am of the school who thinks of them as combining a level of technology and magic that strains the imagination to even comprehend or describe). When Tolkien speaks of the Noldor surpassing even the Valar in their skill and creative capacity in some instances; it is always the Simarili that pop first into my head.

Thank you very much for your kind review. I finally find myself writing some stories that are more Silm-focused, and I love this group so I am eager to participate here as a writer.

On the silmarils being baubles: If it was any Feanorian other than Maglor, I would probably agree with you; and I think that in most of his history he would not view them this way. However, after so much violence and loss, I think that Maglor is thinking that even the Silmarils, as glorious as they are, pale in comparison to what they have caused to happen. Maglor is most likely being a little bit deprecating to his people; "look what we've done, and it was for these things that really weren't much compared to the horrors they've caused!" Whether he'd say that out loud I don't know; but it was interesting to make him think it.

That said, I probably haven't thought about the silmarils that much, and maybe with a few more Silmarillion stories under my belt I would have viewed things differently. I know that how I viewed themes and characters/objects in other fandoms has changed as I've written more stories in that fandom and really wrapped my head around the ideas involved.

In any event, thank you for your review, and also for challenging me on my description of the silmarils. You've definitely made me think. :-) -Marta

An interesting glimpse inside Maglor, the gentlest Feanorion and how the Oath must have pursued them through all those years like a curse.  The line "...he'd been cursed to live," perfectly sums it up I think.

The scene at Alqualonde with the  the Telerin youth was the most "human" moment, perfectly summed up by the line:  "Had it really been worth dying for?" Kind of reminds me how our human obsessions seem to "bind our hands". 

Thank you, whitewave! I so appreciate the review. My parents work for an international aid organization, and I've heard their stories about people who have survived tsunamis, earthquakes, and the like - I was thinking of them with that "cursed to live" bit, because when everyone around you dies, I think it really can seem like a curse to have to live on, especially if you feel like you're bound by an oath that makes everything you do turn out badly. I'm not talking suicidal or anything... just general grief and despair.

 Anyway, thank you for your opinion of my story. :-)