Forsaken Knowledge by Rhapsody

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written as a belated birthday present for Doc Bushwell who challenged her friends into writing a story in the distinctive style of another well-known author. My choice is Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Disclaimer: Celebrimbor belongs to the Professor Tolkien and his estate, any reference to the works of Marion Zimmer Bradley belong to her estate.

Beta and thanks to Wenont for tweaking it into the tiniest details!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In order to finish one of his greatest achievements, Celebrimbor applies a skill he considered forgotten. Added: long overdue author notes.

 ~ MEFA 2009: Honorable Mention in Genres: Crossover: General

Thank you Robinka!

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Curufin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Color of ..., Gift of a Story

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 2, 066
Posted on 3 August 2008 Updated on 22 May 2009

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

I've been meaning to post this for a long time, whoops...


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Rhapsy, I was thrilled to see you'd posted something new here! And even though I'm supposed to be finishing my blog, I just had to read it right away. ;)

This piece is simply beautiful: lovely language bearing Celebrimbor gently to his understanding. The last paragraphs are breathtaking, and I had tears in my eyes to read them.

I will have to read again later to leave you a better and more insightful comment. :) For now, I just wanted you to know how much I enjoyed this piece.

Thanks Dawn! Sometimes I can actually finish a story and this one has been in the works for a long time. And its such a relief when it gets that far and I feel humbled that you wanted to read it immediately! (that made me squee) I do believe he needs redemption or at least realising that such a thing is within his reach with fully embracing his heritage. I have another short story which has been shelved for a while (Pandemonium has seen bits of it), so maybe one day... :c)

 

Very nice, Rhapsody. The language and style works incredibly well with the subject matter. I love the part about the color grey. I love thinking about the mixture of Elven craft or knowledge with magic and this entire piece is magical on so many levels. Took my breath away how you examine the interpersonal questions and the mixture and complexities of the feelings of Celebrimbor for his father. Celebrimbor is not a character that I have written about (except bit parts as an infant or child), but would really like to explore. I have always been drawn to him as the last surviving direct heir of Feanor in Middle-earth; just the thought of all that must have meant to him and those around him is quite moving and tragic. And then his end. You bring it all up here, if not directly, by implication. And, yes, introduce to my satisfaction the concept that Curufin is not simply a villain (I do get weary of the mindless bashing of the Fëanorians).

And, if all that were not enough, you stand up very well here to the wonderful things that Pandemonium has explored about Celebrimbor's character recently in her series of stories, uniquely your own take and yet, for me at least, it satisfyingly fits. I'll have to read it again.

I will admit that I do have my own take about the relationship between father and son that shines through here a bit, but it was such a treat to wholly focus on Celebrimbor this time. As for the Pandemonium!verse and Rhapsy!verse, we soon discovered that our interpretations are awfully close (very early into the Elendilmir), yet some things are particulary hers (how she for example so immensely well explored the deeper arts combining it with scientific elements) and I intersected my interpretation of pagan lore regarding jewels and colours. It is a match in a way and yet not. I always enjoy when she infuses pagan lore into her stories! :) Like you, I love Doc B's Celebrimbor a lot, so for her I wrote Tyelpo as a gift (and I suspect she wants more since she knows I have more in the works (but oh, the time!)). As for Curufin, ah, I find it hard to imagine to portray them completely evil, but nor do I want to so easily justify what they did. With every Fëanorian I wrote so far, I found that they are all complex characters with different shades of grey, they are so much fun to explore! Thanks for reading and letting me know it worked so well! It made my day and it made up for the long time I worked on it!

Just like Dawn's Stars of the Lesser, Forsaken Knowledge fits me like a pair of custom knit gloves! Marion Zimmer Bradley is one of my favorite authors, and Celebrimbor and the events surrounding the creation of the Rings of Power are high on my list of Tolkien interests.

Rhapsy, you've captured the feel and prose style of MZB here as well as her infusion of pagan mythology. Tyelpo's ritual to hallow the Three is beautifully detailed and enchanting. Curufin's words on the color grey are fantastic -- appealing as the mystical and with that hint of underlying science, too! Something that is consistent with Celebrimbor and Curufin to my mind.

Then there's Celebrimbor's emotional link of the grey linens and silks and his acknowledgment of his father's acumen. As you know, I'm quite taken with your theme of Celebrimbor's path to reconciliation with Curufin, who is all too often painted as an almost unidimensional Bad Guy™. For one, I see Curufin as a more complex individual (and I tend to think JRRT did, too, once I delved into some bits of the HoMe) and for another, I would like to think that father and son found healing eventually.

Most of all, I love how you've captured Celebrimbor here. In spite of estrangement from his father and betrayal by his mentor and colleague, he pushes ahead with his life and his creations. In this short story with its lovely wordcraft, you've given him an emotional depth and intelligence I very much appreciate.

Thanks so much for such a wonderful gift! This is a story I will read again and again.

I've never read Marion Bradley before but after reading this I think I might enjoy reading her work.  I love the focus on Tyelpo here, imho, he is the most underexposed Fëanorian;  I also loved the rare glimpse into Curvo.  This piece made me feel "hopeful" in a way that redemption for the Feanorians came through the hands of Tyelpo, as a way of "self-correction" and how they are not so evil as they are mostly portrayed to be. For me, the many mentions of the color "gray" and its uses underscore this. 

Oh, Rhapsody, this is wonderful!  I’ve never finished a Marion Zimmer Bradley book, although I recognize the style because I have a copy of the Mists of Avalon that I’ll sometimes open and read a random page.  (I know, I know...)  But if it’s as excellent as this story I really will have to read it properly.  You did an amazing job of taking her style and using it to develop Celebrimbor’s character, and I loved the ideas about the color grey.  Well done.