Whispering Winds by tinni

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Set after the battle of Unnumbered Tears, the life of Caranthir till his death during the sack of Doriath

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Caranthir, Celeborn, Celegorm, Curufin, Dior, Eluréd, Elurín, Elwing, Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Romance

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death, Sexual Content (Mild), Violence (Moderate)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 12 Word Count: 16, 203
Posted on 28 December 2008 Updated on 28 December 2008

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really enjoy the "culture" clash of the Nandor and the Noldor here and you did a very good job in fleshing this out.  The Feanorian fancrone in me especially loved the "first meeting" of Caranthir and Ninglorin, and had to smile at how jealous and protective he was of her.

The scene where Caranthir is thinking about the oath and that he is a prisoner in his own body was quite dramatic and the mention of Nerdanel was very sweet. Maedhros' custom of the order of eating sounds so plausible as well. I just love your Feanorians!

Oh I really, really enjoyed the interaction of Caranthir (who I usually imagine as grim) with the Ambarussa!  I can't imagine the twins as very serious either since they have older brothers for that sort of thing.  ;-D  I liked the Ambarussa's "philosophy" here and their merciless teasing and tickling of their serious, love-sick brother.

A heart-breaking end to their romance.  It's just like Caranthir to seek out the "secret passages".  You painted a very good picture of how the Doriath kinslaying could have happened, especially the Feanorian "blood lust". I liked the words you wrote for Celegorm's speech and the reaction of the Feanorians to it. The battle between Caranthir and Celeborn was very exciting to read as well. 

I just included this in my list of favorites!  Very, very well done!  The quotes from the books were fantastic, the details and the Feanorian personality quirks were very plausible and yes, this story is very, very believable.  The fate of Ambarussa explains very well why they were the ones who led the attack in Sirion. All in all, you've managed to weave all of these components into one very enjoyable story!

The ending too was priceless--at least they'd be together and so very apt for the title. I like Ninglorin very much-- she's a very strong, interesting OFC and more than a match for Caranthir.  Their sojourn in the East is a good gap-filler I think since there were many unaccounted years during the siege.  I'm going to read all your stuff after this. Thanks for sharing this lovely story.

I've been vaguely aware of this story for years, now, but for some reason I never got around to reading it. Which I regret, because it's excellent - very well-written!

I love the dynamic you set up between Caranthir and Ninglorrin, Caranthir's haughtiness making him unable to admit his feelings, and she in turn is a strong, well-rounded character who is clearly his 'match' and she fits so seamlessly into the setting of Beleriand in the First Age. The tension between them is well done, too. 

This is just so well-written - the bit about the apples, or Caranthir babbling about the deer... it's the sort of dramatic humour I want to emulate in my own writing. I hope one day I can write a romantic drama which is as engaging and enjoyable to read as this was.

Thanks for sharing (and posting this here!). :)