If Death is Kind by Naltariel

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story is the first part of the Morning Light series which will be a Glorfindel/Eonwe slash and span through the Ages, but can be read alone.

Please read and review. Constructive criticisms are welcomed!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Glorfindel during his stay in Mandos. First of the Morning Light series. Nominated for MEFA 2009.

Major Characters: Ecthelion of the Fountain, Eönwë, Glorfindel, Mandos, Manwë, Nienna, Turgon, Vairë, Valar

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Sexual Content (Mild), Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 5 Word Count: 14, 945
Posted on 10 May 2009 Updated on 10 October 2009

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is a wonderful beginning chapter. Also, I rarely read slash, but the pairing itself intrigued me.

The Lord of the House of Golden Flower had never believed in prayer, for he had heard the Doom of Mandos in his youth and believed it with his heart that there would be no mercy or help for the Exiles, but at that exact moment he saw the creature, he knew that the Higher Power was their only hope.

*snorts* No help from the Valar, but I firmly believe that Eru, while not liking the Kinslayings, didn't care nearly as much as the Powers did about the Rebellion.

“I’m dead then,” he said, resigned.

This made me snort in laughter because of how I pictured him saying that.

Despite Námo’s reassurance, he could not help but suspect that the judgment he was about to face would be more terrible than the horrible death he had just endured.

Oh, I'd believe that, but I'll soon find out. :)

Thank you for your kind words!

I do believe Valar could and did make mistakes. They often did things that I think was not Eru's intention and even Tolkien wrote that Eru questioned the Valar for their decision to bring the Elves to Aman because it was not what Eru intended. 

I found this chapter difficult to read because of Glorfindel's fear-- it came across easily.

It made him feel humbled and vulnerable, especially in front of the majestic beings that would be his judges.

*snorts* And vulnerable people have trouble defending themselves…

The air hummed and crackled at the mingling of their force.

With the wonderful description of the Máhanaxar, this line sent shivers down my spine.

I like your Nienna.

“So you say the fault lies with us.” Manwë’s tone was mild, but the underlying displeasure could not be hidden.

Eep. Though, as Glorfindel pointed out, he and many others *didn't* rebel. (Who, me a heretic? :P)

Ah, LaCE… Such a wonderful muddle.

His sentence is harsh, but I expect nothing less from the Valar. They can't force someone to believe something different, because difference doensn't mean it's wrong. And that begs the question of what will happen to the Sindar who die who *also* follow that custom. (Or when they arrive on the Lonely Isle.)

Wonderful chapter!

Poor Glorfindel, and his ordeal was not finished yet.

This fic IS intended to be "heretic". And it is indeed interesting to find out what fate Sindar are doomed to be, isn't it? We'll see how Echtelion coped later on and the Lonely Isle is caled that for a reason, is it not? *hint hint*

 Thank you for reviewing. 

This is an interesting take on the Halls.  I like the fact that you show some disagreement between the Vala regarding the appropriateness of the conditions set on Glorfindel's return.  And now with the hint that these conditions are going to pose an unexpected problem, things are turning quiteinteresting! 

Thanks! As I read the Silmarillion and HoMe, it's clear to me that each of the Valar has different personality and function. It is expected that they think differently and perhaps, have major arguments. Ulmo's action on Middle Earth spoke volume for his disagreement with the rest of the Valar concerning the exile.

It was sad, but beautiful, and most of all, it showed that Someone had heard, had understood, and perhaps, had also shared their pain.

Wonderful explantion of why Nienna's songs and visits to Mandos are healing. I confess I've never really thought of why before now.

Námo's observation about how the fëar made me snort. It makes absolute, perfect sense. I have no answers, either, save that they possibly think no one else will understand.

As it is, we cannot change the condition of your release, and I am not sure if Lord Manwë will want to anyway. There are some things that he highly values, and the propriety of your love lives is one of them it seems.” Glorfindel noticed there was a hint of exasperation in the Vala’s voice.

*snorts* Why? It's none of Manwë's business who chooses to love who! And I adore that Námo appears to be exasperated by it. :)

Nienna is one of a rare Valar described as being empathetic towards the Eruhini in the canon, even Namo is portrayed as strict and forbiding. If he had shown more empathy towards the souls he was guarding, perhaps he'd understood why they chose solitude. As for Manwe, who is mentioned as the King of Arda, all his power has gone over his head, I'm afraid. His behavior is much the same as some of our religious leaders, no? 

The Valar has forgotten, that unlike other creation, they had no part whatsoever in the making of Eruhini, and thus they do not fully understand them or what Eru wants with them. Eru himself had shown displeasure to Manwe for ushering the elves to Valinor while their main task was actually heal the marring of Arda. In away, the exile of the Noldor are more compliant to Eru's will than the Valar's decision to shut them out of their help. 

Anyway, thanks for your comment again. *hugs*

I love how Eönwë sees Glorfindel, and how long he's known him.

It's interesting to see that the Maia thinks Nienna's singing is eerie while Glorfindel takes comfort from it.

Instead, the Lord of the Doom chose to keep this information from the Elder King himself.

*snorts* Wonder why? [/sarcasm]

I shuddered when you described the politics of the Darkening from a Ainurin point of view, even though it's easily figured out from the Silm. It's always the hardest section for me to read because of everyone's (over)reactions to the events.

In that moment, Eönwë understood, perhaps for the first time, of Melian’s fascination with her elven husband.

:D

Does this take place before the War of Wrath?

I'm truly loving this story.

Oh, 2 review in a day! I love you so!

Eonwe is learning about elves intimately, perhaps for the first time. It is no wonder he found Glorfindel so fascinating. He'd found any elf he'd learned about intimately fascinating, but Glorfindel is not any elf, isn't he? :D. 

Yes, this takes place before the War of the Wrath. I wrote the whole tapestries thing into a chapter, but my beta advised me to give it more details and nuances, so I break it into two chapters. The timeline will be more apparent in the next part. 

Once again, thanks for the review. 

Oh, Nienna's definitely one of my favorite Valar for that reason.

In away, the exile of the Noldor are more compliant to Eru's will than the Valar's decision to shut them out of their help.

*laughs* That they are (though I think Eru wouldn't be entirely happy with how they left.)

And, yeah, two reviews. Catching up on everything here. :) And you're quite welcome.