New Challenge: Words of Wit and Whimsy

Words of Wit & Whimsy challenge banner with black and white drawings of W words

We are excited to present our newest challenge for the month of March!

J.R.R. Tolkien wasn’t just the creator of Middle-earth. He was also a scholar of philology. One of his first jobs was with the Oxford English Dictionary, where he was assigned a welter of words beginning with W. In this month’s challenge, we’re presenting you a bingo card with Prof. Tolkien’s W words we hope will inspire a wealth of wonder, wit, worldbuilding, and general whimsy.

You are free to work in as many of the prompts as you wish in your creation. Responses do not have to attempt to complete a row or another bingo pattern--using even just one prompts is fine! However, as in years past, there will be special stamps for completed rows or card blackouts, so please include in your story notes if you complete a row or the entire card (or email us at moderator@silmarillionwritersguild.org to let us know you need those stamps.) In order to receive a stamp for your fanwork, your response must be posted to the archive on or before 10 April 2021For complete challenge guidelines, see the Challenges page on our website.


Posted on 15 March 2021 (updated 14 April 2021) by Dawn Felagund