Tengwar (working title) by cuarthol

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Compilation of prompt fills, type and length may vary per chapter.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

For the Tengwar prompt challenge.  To be updated as new prompts are completed.

Major Characters: Original Character(s), Original Female Character(s), Original Male Character(s), Andreth, Celebrimbor, Círdan, Curufin, Daeron, Fëanor, Finrod Felagund, Gil-galad, Gwindor, Nerdanel, Nuin, Telchar

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, Poetry

Challenges: Tengwar

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 15 Word Count: 1, 524
Posted on 15 April 2024 Updated on 29 April 2024

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

What need of more light?
(No warnings.  Drabble)

One thing more to ask.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Somewhere in the Forest of Brethil...
(No warnings.  Drabble)

An Avar considers those who left before his birth.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

An Angband escapee.
(References to captivity and injuries.  Drabble)

Exiled without recourse.
(No warnings.  Drabble, Poetry)

Felagund, who knew no fear.
(References to death.  Drabble)

It'll get you every time.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Cultural exchanges.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Unsung heirlooms
(No warnings.  Drabble)

One fear.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Not every Dwarven craft was shared.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

The sunset was a surprise, too!
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Sunset brings another surprise
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Thank you, Anérea, for the amazing inspiring twist on this prompt!
(Warning for unbearable cuteness.  Drabble)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Amazing concept! I love the movement from description to a question to Fëanor directly addressing the question. I'm not sure of the intention, but it makes me think of the artist justifying their work to themselves rather than to any real critic. 

And, of course, the theme of the world beyond Valinor.... Very fitting to start this series (?) with Fëanor. 

'the artist justifying their work to themselves' - Oh I like that interpretation!  I was thinking it was criticism he'd received sort of swirling in his mind but I like the idea of imagined criticism, too.

Not sure how much of a series this will end up being, depends on how many of the prompts I end up doing I suppose, but thank you :)

Murien! Long time no see. Ah, the "what if"s, they never really fall silent, do they? And imagine an immortal life full of them...

Oh god that was visceral for me. Don't like tunnels!! Well done, powerful writing. I'd read more even though it's uncomfortable. Gwindor </3. 

Oh, powerful! Remarkable you got a poem into a drabble. Someone once described the transition from prose to poetry or music in drama as a moment where a scene's emotions become too big to be contained in prose. This definitely fits Fëanor at the time of canon. 

Great and varied series continues!

Feanor being very Feanor, poetically, poor Celebrimbor (and sympathetic Curufin!); nice and unusual Finrod and Daeron encounter (book lovers, unite!).... 

DAERON!! and FINROD!!  BOOK! hahaha aw I love this (obviously), just the kind of nerdy inquisitive mural respect I crave between these two.

What a real treat to read these glimpses: Fëanor's delight in his invention and indeed, others content to remain ensconced in the Light would not see their point.

That necklace! I'd like one please, I rarely wear jewellery but it sounds like one I would.

A sleepy Ent tickled by a squirrel is just so cute; a content Avar almost pitying those who left; Gwindor's first moment of freedom; Fëanor's rage, Finrod's precious possession (well, two of them); Celebrimbor... aww, sweetie, it's OK, we've all done it!

Love this collection! Well done! ♡

Ooooooh! Ok, I so very very much relate to the sentimentality in this! And your description is as fine as this worn, comfortable and comforting fabric. And, I just love seeing Andreth and Bregor share a moment of sibling intimacy. ♡

Hah! I am with Celebrimbor on this, if the bridge looks anything like it did in the films. These are all so clever, becoming a favourite little word snack in my day.

Another four great ones!

Andreth as sister, Celebrimbor sharing a fear with Narvi, Telchar making something that isn't a weapon, and protective Nuin: what a wonderful selection of characters and ideas!

Excellent! When you said you were writing about Gil-estel I had a feeling we'd be getting a POV we don't get in canon and I'm glad you picked these two. I love how it's a very real moment interrupted by a miracle.

Oh, I'm so with Celebrimbor here!! It's really not the sheer precipitous drops that are the problem, but what lies at the end of them. (Says she who, despite a lifelong fear of sheer precipitous drops, somehow found herself climbing sheer precipitous cliffs for fun for a lot of her life, admittedly initially motivated by a very hot guy, so maybe Narvi will do the same for Celebrimbor.)

Aha! So it's the ang in the northern reaches that draws the needle? Clever.

I love Nuin here — probably utterly confused himself by the odd light, but still being so reassuring to the now-awake sleepers. (I've never really thought about how surprising and terrifying the sunset may have been.)

... and an age later a new light in the sky.

Such a delight reading these, thank you!