Scrapbook by Independence1776

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Maglor brings Nerdanel a scrapbook of his time in Middle-earth.

Major Characters: Maglor, Nerdanel

Major Relationships: Maglor & Nerdanel

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family

Challenges: Restoration and Rebuilding

Rating: General

Warnings:

Posted on 16 August 2022 Updated on 19 August 2022

This fanwork is complete.

Scrapbook Fic

Maglor paused at the open gate. A tiny plant grew between one of the cracks in the upright wood post; the sun made its leaves shine green-gold. He smiled and walked up the stepping stone and gravel path toward the small cottage tucked away in the woods. Before he reached halfway, the green-painted door opened and his mother stepped onto the covered porch. She wore a casual, brown, button-up shirt and matching trousers, though her feet were bare. It was her smile that nearly broke him.

Mother,” he said and hurried up the two steps, his bag bouncing at his side.

She embraced him. “Welcome home, Makalaurë.” She pulled back and eyed the bag hanging from his shoulder. “What did you bring me?”

He smiled. “A scrapbook of images of many places I visited in Middle-earth. Some are drawings; others are what Men call photographs.”

“Come inside and show me.”

He did.



Scrapbook Notes

[Image description: The photo collage has nine photos total in three rows.

Row 1: Photo 1: Sand beach of Tel Aviv looking south toward the ancient port city of Jaffa. Photo 2: Cave painting of hands; unknown location. Photo 3: Louisville, Kentucky bridge over the Ohio River; the bridge is outlined in blue lights. Photo 4: A stone statue of the Buddha seated in half lotus; the statue is in Thailand’s Sukhothai Historical Park.

Row 2: Photo 5: The ruins of Machu Picchu in Peru. Photo 6: Hilly rural Worcestershire farmland with hedgerows. Photo 7: The Sydney Opera House at dusk.

Row 3: Photo 8: Panorama of Cape Town at dusk; the city lights are aglow and Table Mountain is barely visible against the dark sky. Photo 9: The rock-cut structure dubbed “The Monastery” of Petra.]



Oh wow! What a sweet idea! This is just so touching, and the little details  just make it... the light, Maglor's smile, Nerdanel's bare feet, their delight at seeing each other. I can even see them sitting close together on the sofa, going on through the drawings and photos,  and feeling so much...

And the photos are such a lovely diverse global glimpse.

Table mountain: I started the moodboard while Kei was in the hospital and I'd hoped she'd see it when she was released. :(

Thank you! I very much wanted Maglor to have traveled the world over in his thousands of years of wandering and then (as StarSpray said) jetsetted around taking photos when he realized he could and would be going home.