Shadows Laid Before the Sun by Idrils Scribe

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Content warning: this is a horror story, and a dark one at that. Our First Age Fëanorians are thoroughly doomed, which doesn't make for a particularly warm and cheerful family mood even before the monsters turn up. Proceed with caution (or not at all) if this sort of thing might trigger or upset you.

Dawn, I know you like visiting the grim and macabre parts of Middle-earth, so I didn't hold back in the slightest. Thank you for all of your help with my stories through the years. I had a ton of fun writing this pitch-black tale, and I’m so excited to finally share it with you. Have a great spooky season!

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

When Caranthir picks one fight too many with their Arafinwëan cousins, Maedhros drags him east before he single-handedly shatters the Leaguer of Angband.
On their way to Himring the feuding brothers must cross Nan Dungortheb. Not even the mighty Sons of Fëanor will emerge unscathed from the Valley of Dreadful Death.

STORY COMPLETE. Chapter 8: “We cannot kill it, can we?” Carnistir asked, and looked aside to see the scarred lines of Maitimo’s face harden.

A Halloween gift for Dawn Felagund. Many thanks to Anoriath and Grundy for the beta, and to Lyra for her Quenya translation skills!

Major Characters: Caranthir, Maedhros

Major Relationships: Caranthir & Maedhros

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, Horror

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings, Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 8 Word Count: 10, 127
Posted on 24 October 2022 Updated on 2 November 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Idrils Scribe has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Conflict, Description/Imagery, Fulfilled Intent, Mood/Tone, Organization/Structure, Pacing, Plot, Point of View, Research, Sensitivity Read, Setting, Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics, Style, Worldbuilding. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


Oh I am feeling creeped out and frightened already, lovely imagery of the maggots he he! There's a spider thing going on, maybe the orc and spiders are having babies?? Ps I love your writing it has such a sense of integrity and authenicity.