A Sense of History: Galadriel

A Sense of History - Galadriel: Parallels among Women in History and Literature by MirienSilowende

Galadriel has always been subject to myriad and diverse interpretations from Tolkien fans and scholars. To some, she is an analogue for the Virgin Mary. At the other extreme, she is a warrior figure on par with male heroes like Fingon and Glorfindel. In the extensive ground between lies many other possible readings of her character. None of this is helped by the texts themselves, which are contradictory and confusing even beyond what one comes to expect from Tolkien.

In this month's A Sense of History column, MirienSilowende looks at the character of Galadriel through a historical lens. Although women typically receive the short shrift in both literary and historical writings, figures nonetheless emerge from ancient and medieval texts that suggest parallels with Galadriel's character. Circe, Eleanor of Aquitaine, and Joan of Arc offer three possibilities with whom Tolkien would have been familiar and who might have inspired a woman character at once prophetic, benevolent, and outspoken.

You can read MirienSilowende's article "Galadriel: Parallels among Women in History and Literature" here.


Posted on 9 December 2022 (updated 8 February 2023) by SWG Moderators