Into the West by elennalore

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the challenge Manwë's Mailbag. This is my postcard prompt:

A view of Meneltarma

Text: I am glad that I came to the Land of the Gift, even if only for a short time.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Celebrimbor travels to Númenor and finds a new direction to his life.

Major Characters: Original Nonbinary Character(s), Celebrimbor, Erestor, Tar-Aldarion

Major Relationships: Celebrimbor & Erestor

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Manwë's Mailbag

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 5, 783
Posted on 18 December 2022 Updated on 18 December 2022

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

I'm happy that I got a chance to give Celebrimbor a trip to Númenor with this lovely postcard challenge! This is not meant to be a canon divergence AU - it's more like a missing scene type story. The year is 820 S.A (Aldarion returns to Númenor from his voyage with Palarran.)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like the idea that it was the Guild of Venturers that inspired by the Gwaith-i-Mirdain! I enjoyed your descriptions of all this.

And it was nice to see the idea being so inclusive from the beginning so that a Numenorean OC is among the first members and even ensures that it will actually happen.

Nice that Celebrimbor finds his direction again, but also gets an opportunity to write a letter.

I love this fic!

Celebrimbor gets the idea for the Gwaith-i-Mirdain from Aldarion and Telda wants to join. I love that it is her question that makes him realise he'd already made up his mind.

Erestor and Celebrimbor wonder who the returned elf might be and if it is possible for the Feanorians, too, and they are so surprised when they are offered to go back to Aman. They still think of themselves as exiles, even when the ban has been lifted.

Celebrimbor writing a letter to his mother is so touching. I wonder what she will think when she gets it.

I'm happy you liked it!

I think Celebrimbor's mother will be quite surprised when she gets the letter. She has accepted the fact that her son has gone away, but now she realizes that there might be a way to contact him through Númenor. She feels too shy to try to contact Celebrimbor, though, but the letter she received will be dear to her.

Thank you for your comment! And sorry for answering late.

 

This trip to Númenor has been good for Celebrimbor. He feels rejuvenated and has found in the Guild of Venturers an inspiration for his own inclusive guild of jewel-smiths (and other makers). And his mum will get a lovely postcard (and probably cry).

Erestor spending his time in Númenor sorting out the King's library is hilarious really.

The news from the Telerin elves that an Exiled elf has been re-embodied is intriguing to them both, and brings hope that those they have lost may also return from the Halls of Mandos. 

This was a lovely story!!

I chuckled (sympathetically) with Erestor's sea-aversion.  The detail of him getting to set all the First Age records straight was nice!  The friendship between Celebrimbor and Aldarion (against all odds), and the dark humor Celebrimbor and Erestor share (the 'unpaid debts' to Cirdan) was also a very realistic touch.

Having to constantly assert 'It's not the ships!' lol  I love that this is the spark which inspired the Gwaith-i-Mirdain!  I like Telda, too!

That awkward meeting with the Tol Eressea elves was a nice touch.

Aww, Erestor's oath to stick with Elrond!  (Probably best not to mention it to him lol)

Ah this was just lovely!! <3