Finrod: 30-Day Character Study - Artwork by cuarthol

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Art I created for the related prompts.

Fanwork Information

Description:

Art created for the related prompts for the 30-Day Character Study Challenge.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships: Andreth & Finrod, Aegnor/Andreth

Genre: General, Het

Type: Drawing/Painting

Challenges: 30-Day Character Study, Jubilee

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Posted on 20 January 2023 Updated on 9 February 2023

Finrod and Andreth

Day 7. Affiliations, Part One. Think about an important relationship your character has to another character in your verse. Spend at least a half-hour exploring that relationship in any way you choose. For example, you might read and research the other character, write or draw about their relationship, create meta or headcanons--your choice.

Ink on card stock:

Andreth teaches Finrod how to play mancala, a game the Edain brought with them into Beleriand.

Based on this image from the Codex Manesse

Black and white line drawing in a medieval style.  Finrod and Andreth sit on cushioned chairs with a table between them.  On the table is a mancala board, which Andreth is teaching Finrod to play.

Andreth and Aegnor

Ink on card stock:

Andreth and Aegnor enjoy a peaceful summer's day in Ladros

Based on this image from the Codex Manesse

Black and white line drawing in a medieval style.  Aegnor reclines in Andreth's lap as she holds him.  In one hand he holds a rose, a bird is perched on the other.  Their eyes are both closed and they look happy.

Finrod, the scholar

Day 16. Down Memory Lane, Part Three. Imagine your character keeping a box of little mementoes that are important to them. Write a list, make a sketch, or create a fanwork where these mementoes feature.

I believe Finrod wrote extensively of his time in Beleriand, but his vast library was lost when Nargothrond was sacked, and anything that might have remained was drowned after the War of Wrath.

Ink on card stock:

Finrod creating a page for an illustrated manuscript.

Based on this image from St. Gallen, Kantonsbibliothek, VadSlg Ms. 302, f. 26v

Black and white line drawing in a medieval style.  Finrod sitting while creating a page in a manuscript.

Nereb and Dungalef

Day 18. Fan Art/Fancast/Fanmix. Create fan art of your character. Don't have an artistic bone in your body? You can substitute finding three images of different people who would fit how you imagine your character to look, or three sets of clothing/costumes that the character might wear, or make a fanmix of songs that relate to your character.

----

So since I’ve already done a few artworks now I thought I’d come at it from a different angle: Nereb and Dungalef and the horror they felt when they saw one another after Finrod had transformed their appearances.

Ink on vellum

Inspired by this image though I am having difficulty finding the source outside of this website so grain of salt on that.

Black and white line drawing in a medieval style.  Finrod and Beren in the guise of Nereb and Dungalef.  They don't look happy.

Golden House of Finarfin

For Day 30. Show It All Off. Create a fanwork about your character: any format, any genre.

If Finrod were to create a family tree of the House of Finarfin, this is what I imagine it would look like, and who it would include. 

Still a WIP as it will take quite some time to create all the miniature portraits to fill the spaces.

Black and white line drawing in a semi-medieval style: a peacock standing in a tree supporting the device of Finarfin.  The tail is draped and filled with the family tree of the house of Finarfin.  Around the trunk of the tree are entwined snakes.

Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.