Before Strife Was Born by oshun

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Oops! Put away your calculators and your volumes of The History of Middle-earth. Allow me a little artistic license here and storytelling hyperbole. I was not very careful about the dates, especially in relation to the difference in age between Maedhros and Fingolfin.

Fëanor's oldest sons are closer in age to his brothers than you might think. But in any case, they are all painfully young during the Years of the Trees. For purposes of this story, I have made Fëanor and Fingolfin young adults together. An interesting aside is that Fëanor started having children several years before Elven majority--apparently in a hurry to make a mark and change his world.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Not your typical romance, this is a story about two people who know one another all too well and understand one another not at all and share an almost love/hate relationship replete with passionate conflict and caring. It’s a Years of the Trees story of Fëanor and Fingolfin as very young men, written for Encairion, Ardor in August 2012, to satisfy this particular prompt:

“Pairing: Fëanor/Fingolfin. I prefer dark, angsty stories, but can appreciate humor on the side. Whether you give me a pre-darkening of Valinor or a re-born life in Valinor or something from the First Age, it doesn't matter, but I love seeing elves with flaws, so please no utopian, unrealistic worlds."

I want to extend the warmest thanks to my super skillful and perceptive Betas Ignoblebard and Lilith Lessfair who so generously combed through it at least a couple of times each.

Major Characters: Anairë, Fëanor, Fingolfin, Maedhros, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Humor, Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges: Family Matters, Gift of a Story

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Incest

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 4, 299
Posted on 6 August 2012 Updated on 6 August 2012

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Fingolfin - Nolofinwë (Quenya)
Fëanor - Fëanáro (Q.)
Finarfin - Arafinwë (Q.)
Maedhros - Nelyafinwë, Russo (Q.)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oshun, I love this! Feanor is very, very attractive here, and no one can blame Fingolfin being totally into that. (Also, the bit about Fingolfin's cheekbones. Heh!) Also, forgive this irrelevant aside, but whenever I read your works, I always secretly wish you would include recipes at the end -- those salmon cakes with ginger sound great!

Thank you! I am so happy you liked it. On the recipes--I have seriously thought of doing a receipe book for my fanfiction. I am hooked on this one online for A Game of Thrones (Inn at the Crossroads - http://www.innatthecrossroads.com/2011/06/). My daughter is helping me collect photos. She reminds me now if I forget to take a picture of something I may use in a story. I do have food icons for this story--among others. I may add a separate chapter here to share them.

i like this! in my hopeless head i never imagined this pairing other than angsty...but youth and blitheness are healthy! XD fingolfin bashful in bed, can't help the giggles... i can also find hints that make it perfectly imaginable why things would become as they were later. 

would you mind if i ask for a favor? i wish to translate this into chinese and post it in our community. a good friend of mine was just lamenting yesterday that the pairing lacked any hope for happiness. she'd love to see this. of course, your name and the link will be put above the translation. 

thank you for presenting such wonderful work!

You are so incredibly kind to read this and to comment. It is just a little romp of a story. Every time I try to write Feanor and Fingolfin really young, they always come out  very fond of one another. I guess I must admit that in my own imagination they are really, really different and because of circumstances sometimes jealous and envious of one another, but still love one another. To imagine a happier earlier period makes what follows that much more poignant. I personally am not interested in reading unmitigated misery. I need contrast to fully appreciate what they lose when the strife between their factions among the Noldor separates them. TMI. Pardon me! Thank you so very much for reading.

(Oops. One last remark. Magic words--you said you wished there was more. I am working on a story at the moment--a chapter of a story actually--that also has a lot about the earlier relationship between Feanor and Fingolfin. I hope to finish and post it very soon.)