The Critic by oshun

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In the bliss of Valinor in the Years of the Trees, Maglor plays a new song for Aredhel and Celegorm. It is mainly about the suffering of the artist unappreciated by the Philistines closest to him. Oh, yes, I like these two cousins together also. Tolkien hooked me when he said of Aredhel, “There she was often in the company of the sons of Fëanor, her kin; but to none was her heart's love given.” Ah, I see. But it could have been. Then he sends her later on to leave Gondolin, set upon visiting Celegorm. Obviously, they were wildly infatuated with one another in their youth. The story is still Gen Fic at its heart.

Major Characters: Aredhel, Celegorm, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Family Matters

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 435
Posted on 2 September 2012 Updated on 2 September 2012

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


It's hard to be the sensitive one in a loud, boisterous family, even when you know they love you to pieces.  Love how you show them here.  It's very ...real.  Intimate.  I like seeing what we never see from Tolkien, and you're very good at writing these sort of moments of insight.

This was funny and sweet. :)

Aredhel and Celegorm really feel like infatuated teen cousins, doing everything to call one another's attention, but still keeping on the brink of something.

Loved how you worked the poem in. It's the sort of detail I adore.