A King Is He Who Can Hold His Own by sallysavestheday

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The dynamics of how Oropher (and later Thranduil) came to rule a Sindar court in Nandor Greenwood as refugees from Doriath are fascinating, and there's so much textual space to play with. Some say it was assimilation, some say it was colonialism...perhaps it was just convenience?

This is a slightly different Oropher and Thranduil than I've written elsewhere. Here they are biologically father and son.

Written for the Middle-earth is Multitudes Challenge, using the prompts Nelyar and refugees.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Fleeing the fall of Doriath, Oropher is called into the kingship of the Greenwood.

Major Characters: Nandor, Oropher, Sindar, Thranduil

Major Relationships: Oropher & Thranduil

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Middle-earth Is Multitudes

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 825
Posted on 16 March 2023 Updated on 16 March 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This fits so well with Thranduil's personality and the way he's so in tune with nature in The Hobbit, and forms a great bridge between these wild Elves and those of Doriath. I really enjoy your explanations and comparisons here, and Oropher's amusement, and the Nandor"s scheming to keep the Noldor at bay!

And your last line... oooph!

Thank you. The loss of self that can come with displacement is an underlying current for me in Tolkien -- what does it mean to be you in a completely new environment? How do the various characters adapt? This particular intersection is one I am fascinated by...Oropher going off to be King in the Greenwood has so many possible meanings. And I imagine the Nandor looking for the opportunities that the Sindar's arrival might offer. Among them, a way to keep those annoying Westerners out of their hair. Wild they may be, but that does not mean they are not canny!

Oh, this was an excellent read!

holding mastery of steel above a closer kinship with the wild or the gentle guarded balance that the Elves of the forest maintain.

I just LOVED how you chose to describe the Noldor here - and Thranduil, of course. You managed to give him and Oropher a lot of character within a few words. Truly well done!