A Day's Journey through Minas Tirith by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story features an elderly woman who has mobility and vision issues due to advanced age and a textual ghost (one of Arwen's daughters).

The story also contains brief references to a number of OCs. These include adolescents, displaced and enslaved characters (place of origin suggested only), and one hint of non-literacy.

This is set in Fourth-Age Gondor and as Silmfic it is really marginal. Please bear with me; I was trying to combine more than one challenge here.

Warning for one reference to the death of minors in war.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Ioreth has to endure some of the physical drawbacks of advanced age, but there are also people who accord her the kindness and respect she deserves.

Major Characters: Unnamed Female Canon Character(s), Ioreth

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet

Challenges: Middle-earth Is Multitudes

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 911
Posted on 18 March 2023 Updated on 18 March 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really love how Ioreth has grown to be such an important character in fandom. You portray her here so beautifully, with all the frailty of an old woman but still with the knowledge that comes from a life lived long and full - and Ioreth the Wise accompanied by the princess was a lovely image, too!

Ahh, a trip through memories as well as the city.

"Now she knows the place like the wrinkles on the back of her hand and finds her way about like one of the cats of Queen Beruthiel..."

I love both of these comparisons, both so apt!

"Entering the Citadel accompanied like that by one of the Princesses! Well, Ioreth is not going to question her good fortune." (Nor give up the opportunity for a story to tell — I think some traits don't fade with age.)

It was lovely to encounter Celebriel again,  and then revisit the histories of the Elessars too, as a bonus!