New Challenge: Rejects

Rejects - April 15 through May 15 - Silmarillion Writers' Guild challenge

Not every idea makes it into a finished piece in its original form! J.R.R. Tolkien worked on his legendarium for decades, and while a few things didn’t change much, over that time some of the early ideas were altered considerably. In this month’s challenge, we invite you to consider some of the rejected concepts from the early legendarium.

Prompts for this challenge can be used in any way that you want. You do not have to create something about the specific "rejected canon" that is in the prompt. You could consider another character's perspective if this canon detail was true, or you could consider what happened in the story on either side of the event: the history leading to the rejected canon, or the history that came after it. The prompt can factor in to your fanwork as much or as little as you would like. If a prompt is not a good fit for you, let the mods know, and we'll pick something new for you.

To receive a prompt, comment on our Dreamwidth, send us an ask on Tumblr, post in the the #monthly-challenges channel on our Discord, or message us through the SWG site.

In honor of Poetry Month, we will have a special stamp for fanworks that are or include poetry. In order to receive a stamp for your fanwork, your response must be posted to the archive on or before 15 May 2023. For complete challenge guidelines, see the Challenges page on our website.

Many thanks to Zdenka for creating this month's banner and stamps!


Posted on 15 April 2023 (updated 15 May 2023) by SWG Moderators