The Fates of Man by AdmirableMonster

| | |

Fanwork Notes

All right, so this is...sort of? Kind of, a crossover with Dishonored.  Or maybe it's more accurate to say that it's inspired by my favorite Dishonored fanfiction, The Natural Philosopher and the Nonlinear Terms, by Rastaban. You don't need any knowledge of it to understand the story, but if you do happen to know it, you may find it fun to know the inspirations for some of the main characters, who are my Númenorean spins on several of the characters from Dishonored.  See end chapter notes for more, since they could be mildly spoilery.

Written for the "Rejects" Prompt: The fate of Men: "Nienna sends some to Angband, most to plains of Arvalin, and a lucky few to dwell in Valmar" (The Book of Lost Tales) 

The quote "all things are in balance and so too with the fates of man" comes from Rastaban's fic.  There are a couple other little allusions to it as well.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Two natural philosophers struggle to warn the Faithful that the end of Númenor is approaching.  But can sworn enemies find a way forward in the midst of the final tumult?

Major Characters: Original Male Character(s)

Major Relationships: Original Character/Original Character, Original Character & Original Character

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Horror, Hurt/Comfort

Challenges: Rejects

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn, In-Universe Intolerance, In-Universe Racism/Ethnocentrism

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 6, 451
Posted on 16 April 2023 Updated on 16 April 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love how incredibly indignant Nimruzimir is that the one who had him dismissed does not even know who he is!  It's got such "Don't you know who I am?" vibes but in reverse: We're rivals! how can you not know me?! 

The glimpse into the end of Numenor from a very different perspective was fantastic!!

Aw, I liked Lark!

You didn’t just try, you tried your best.

🥺

That kiss 🥰

Perhaps, in time, sworn enemies might even become sworn friends.

Aaaawwww I loved this story!!