Telling Tales by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Three drabble-and-a-halfs for the Rejects challenge prompt: Eärendil journeys to the south and finds "Tree-men, Sun-dwellers, spices, fire-mountains, red sea" (The Book of Lost Tales)

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Earendil's stories of his voyages are passed down through the years.

Major Characters: Bilbo Baggins, Eärendil, Elrond, Elros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, Ficlet, Fixed-Length Ficlet, Fluff, General

Challenges: Rejects

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 462
Posted on 19 April 2023 Updated on 19 April 2023

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I beg your pardon, Master Elrond. I’m still unused to living among folk for whom the legends of the Elder Days are childhood memories!”

I can so sympathize with Bilbo here!  It is sometimes easy to forget just how few generations there are sometimes over the thousands of years, that there are some who saw the events of the ancient tales for themselves! (or heard them, at any rate)

Wonderful fic! <3

It's hilarious that people have no problem believing that Eärendil sails Vingilot in the sky with a Silmaril, but tree-people and fiery mountains and the rest is just taking things a tad too far!

I like the way you've brought the stories down through the ages. And having the sea call to Elros like it did his forefathers. 

This is such a great idea (and I enjoy that we seem to have gotten a similar idea with an Earendil prompt, and yet executed it in unique ways!). I love all of your little details: the stories providing inspiration for the twins' imaginary games is so sweet; that final reflection in the first part "if only the winds had blown him west"; and love that you brought Bilbo in! An in-universe explanation for the fanciful tales of Earendil's journeying?