Don't Lose Your Head by daughterofshadows

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Warnings for headless Fingolfin (no graphic depictions of violence occur in the story) and ghosts.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

After his death, Fingolfin does not go to the Halls of Mandos.

Major Characters: Fingolfin, Rochallor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Dip the Ladle

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 101
Posted on 15 July 2023 Updated on 15 July 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Soooooo this is a bit of weird one.

Inspired by the following quote for the Dip the Ladle challenge

“there passed through the portals a perilous horseman, the mightiest on middle-earth in measure of height

My mind got stuck on the horseman bit, decided that obviously this HAD to be about headless horseman Fingolfin (after all, he even comes with a canonical horse buddy!) and then this happened.

It's cracky, it's exactly 100 words according to MS Word, and really, it would be much more fitting for a Halloween fic.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Very shivery! I can see Men hearing bits of First Age lore and song and tale and stitching bits together to get this. 

 Oh gosh, this made me think that poor Fingolfin can't be re-embodied without his head, so he haunts the Lands Under Wave. Although admittedly that doesn't really fit with how Mandos etc. works, but then I read Lferion's thought that it's a Mannish legend, and it all made sense — they really don't quite understand how re-embodiment works. (And have some grizzly ideas about it!)

I love how spooky this is, followed by the tonal shift in the last line 😁. It's great. As Lferion suggested, I can totally imagine an old Edainic grandparent telling this strange tale to their grandchildren, making them chuckle with surprise at the end.