New Challenge: Roaring Twenties

Roaring Twenties - SWG Challenge - 15 August through 15 September

Ah, 2019. That hopeful year when we all looked forward to a second go at the Roaring Twenties, before 2020 sent us all into lockdown to doom-scroll news about covid outbreaks, rising fascism and nationalism across the globe, increasingly terrifying climate change, and ever-more-bizarre (and believed) disinformation.

For this challenge, we're going to do our best to put all of that our of our minds for a grand episode of escapism to the Roaring Twenties with a bingo challenge. After all, Tolkien defended escapism and used his Roaring Twenties to do major reworking on the tale of Beren and Lúthien, an escapist text worthy of the optimism of the 1920s if ever there was one. Bingo cards are loaded with prompts from the 1920s, and you may pick your card(s), and use one prompt, complete rows or lines on the cards, or fill an entire card. We do not call numbers as part of regular bingo challenges, so choose the prompts you want and skip the ones you don't. If you choose multiple prompts, you can incorporate them into one or multiple fanworks.

Click here for the complete Roaring Twenties challenge, where, you will find bingo cards as well as text-only prompts. Remember that if you need assistance in putting together rows or other patterns using the text prompts, you can contact the mods and we're happy to help.

In order to receive a stamp for your fanwork, your response must be posted to the archive on or before 15 September 2023. For complete challenge guidelines, see the Challenges page on our website.

Many thanks to Grundy for designing this month's bingo cards, banner, and stamps!


Posted on 11 August 2023 (updated 16 September 2023) by SWG Moderators