New Challenge: Turgon's Rock Opera

SWG Challenge - Turgon's Rock Opera - 15 September through 15 October 2023

We built this city… we built this city on rock and roll! On the anniversary of the publication of The Silmarillion, we’re reflecting on the importance of music in Arda. From the song of the Ainur to Sam singing and Frodo answering, Tolkien’s legendarium rings with music. Many key moments or events would not be the same without it. We’re also taking inspiration from Gondolin, the hidden city whose names reference music and stone. (Close enough to rock for us!)

This month’s challenge prompts are rock songs. You are free to use any aspect of a prompt, whether it’s the title, the artist or band name, song or album cover art, the music, the lyrics, the video, or the general vibe! To receive a prompt, comment on our Dreamwidthsend us an ask on Tumblr, post in the #monthly-challenges channel on our Discord, or message us through the SWG site.

In order to receive a stamp for your fanwork, your response must be posted to the archive on or before 15 October 2023. For complete challenge guidelines, see the Challenges page on our website.


Posted on 16 September 2023 (updated 21 October 2023) by SWG Moderators