For the Last Time, Laughter by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the drabble prompt "Laugh in Spite" at tolkien100.
With thanks to sallysavestheday, who inspired my response to the prompt by her comments.

Features Himring 'verse Lalwen.
I believe the emotional beats will come through even without knowing the background, but for context I would recommend reading "The Chief in a Village".

Warning: major character death implied.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Lalwen's last stand and her defiance.

Major Characters: Lalwen

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 101
Posted on 7 October 2023 Updated on 7 October 2023

This fanwork is complete.

For the Last Time, Laughter

Read For the Last Time, Laughter

Back in Valinor, when she was named for her laughter, Lalwen had a nicer laugh, she thinks. Kinder. That stopped, when her family started tearing themselves apart.

In Beleriand, she learned to laugh again, but her laughter had an edge to it, angry, almost spiteful. There was much to be angry about.

Now her young son lies hidden, in a last desperate hope that he will be found, later, her son’s father sprawling dead close by. Love was unexpected—despite this dark hour, Lalwen regrets none of it, however.

Grimly laughing, she hoists her halberd again.

‘Have at me, orcs!’


Chapter End Notes

100 words in MS Word and on AO3


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.