The Legacy of Love by Rhapsody

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written, although I missed the deadline ahem, for the MPTT July 2013 Fixed-Length-Ficlet Challenge: Time in a Bottle. My assigned word count: 270 words.

A heartfelt thanks to the members of the Lizard Council who went over this little tale.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

After having found his shelter on the isle of Balar, a messenger delivers a memory from the past.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Family Matters

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 270
Posted on 28 September 2013 Updated on 28 September 2013

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


You wove the details of the sword's past well--how the forbidden weapon used in the Kinslayings could be a legacy of love at the same time...

I gather that you know a great deal more about Celebrimbor's mother than is said here, but the hints here do paint a strong picture.

 

I do have a whole backstory worked out around her, why she stayed behind and all of that. I hope that once I have the first novel of Bard Rising finished, the backstory done as well (now at 8 pages and still not complete)... more side stories regarding Celebrimbor and Curufin will make more sense. *points to her files at het HD* If there were only more hours in a day...

I do believe that the actions of the house of Fëanor, and their fate are double edged: he renounced one, misses the other and then there is this legacy with the bitter sweet memories... I am glad that this unnamed wife of Curufin left such a strong impression. Thanks!

This is really lovely. Fixed length ficlets just have such a density of language. And Celebrimbor is of course a source of epic drama. But I really like how you've been able to work in so many small details into this ficlet: the memories of the swordsmithing, the scabbard, the associations between objects and persons.

Rhapsy, this is lovely! So much going on in so few words, revolving around the sword as a symbol and one with so many meanings for Celebrimbor. I love how the sword at once contains fond memories of his relationship with his father while he acknowledges the death it caused. This is a perfect little vignette. :)

Rhapsy, this is lovely! So much going on in so few words, revolving around the sword as a symbol and one with so many meanings for Celebrimbor. I love how the sword at once contains fond memories of his relationship with his father while he acknowledges the death it caused. This is a perfect little vignette. :)